1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Taking account for compaction??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

yes and future lifts will be added to yours. However if your lifts are not to spec than the entire compaction can fail. I am not trying to make more out of this than is there, only to point out how seemingly benign issues can become larger ones. At least add a stipulation in your contract that you are not responsible for compaction.

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Here the soils compaction rate is tested and some soils just will not work.

3. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

700 yards of material at an average of 19"? I would not hesitate to use my TL130 to spread the material and compact it. We do it frequently here. A TL130 with 12" tracks, a full bucket of sand and track pack the material in 10"-12" lifts. We regularly get 95-97% density.

Kajun, did you buy a track loader yet? I'd use that to do this job.....

4. GVL LLC

GVL LLC LawnSite Member

if were you I wouldnt bother renting a dozer. You could just use your tractor and a skid with you and another guy operating both at the same time and compacting it in 6 inch lifts and it wouldnt take very long doing it this way and the job would be done right. Maybe just rent a bigger skid if you dont feel like yours is big enough. Clay soils will compact fairly easily from just running it over numerous times and then doing a final grading at the end

5. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I would like to see you compact granular material to 95% with a skidsteer track before I buy that one.

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I agree. It really does make a difference.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Are you getting the fill for free?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Overfill dump truck and packed it in that way. Works great

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Or even a dozer. Dozers don't have much ground pressure.

Its hard to beat a sheep foot roller. Or even a skid attachment like Cornell has
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

Give it a try sometime. You may be surprised. We don't do it that way all the time....but for a foot or so, it's usually not a problem. And yes, we have it tested for density.
    Posted via Mobile Device