Taking account for compaction??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I think depending on the application, and ground conditions everyone has wheel/track packed at one time or another. However 20" of fill over a future home site, not me without covering myself one way or another.

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Excellent advice. Heavan forbid that the house is built and the foundation fails and liability is deferd to you. It is just not worth it in my experience. Cost can never be a deciding factor on bidding a job right or wrong.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Im putting in the contract that the material will not be compacted to a certain rate. We are just filling in the lot so grass can grow. the owner wants to be able to cut the lot with a lawnmower.

4. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

I would mention to the owner that if he does plan on ever building there that it should be proper full and properly compacted and to do that it will cost x amount of dollars.

Mabee in some areas you guys have crazy soils but I have never seen a tracked skid steer track pack to 95% spd. Packers are cheap to rent , don't risk it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Tizzy

Tizzy LawnSite Senior Member

just put it in writing that you are only bringing the lot to grade and are not compacting the soil for engineered construction and make it very clear and then have the homeowner initial next to it stating he/she read that section and then sign the contract.

6. KrayzKajun

This is what I plan on doing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. KrayzKajun

After figuring material at $180/load delivered (approx 18yds) I'm looking At Around $7k in just river sand/fill.

I willing to bet these people have no idea how much money they are looking At to fill this lot in. Hope they got a good deal on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The soil has too have a high clay content and do it in 3 inch lifts with multiple trips back and forth over the fill. Takes alot of time. Realy better to get a packer unless it is a small area like a room addition.

9. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Its crazy how different things are across the country. Here I can get paid $30-80 per load to accept fill.

10. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

It would never happen here with crusher run limestone. If they saw us compacting with just skid steer tracks we'd be run off the job.