Taking advantage of a rich old lady

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by The Cutting Edge, Apr 6, 2007.

1. The Cutting Edge

The Cutting Edge LawnSite Member

I have a question for you guys. I currently do the lanscaping and grounds keeping on a clients property of mine but she has a guy that has been mowing her grass for about 5 years. This lady is about 85 years old and barely knows up from down but is loaded with bid time money, I mean millions and millions. She has two properties side by side that probally make up a half acre total theres hardly any trimming. This would take 45 minutes to mow and trim. The problem is this guy is charging her 350.00 a cut, whick I think is rediculous.. I also currently do all the landscaping and lawncare of her daughters property which is also very rich lives in a 2 million dollar home here in Cincinnati so thats how I know so much about the old lady. Except the daughter doesn't know how much her mom pays, but the old lady told me. My question is should I mention that she is overpaying this guy to the daughter of the mother. See the daughter pretty much takes care of here except for the money issue. What should I do, I just can't believe that this guy is taking advantage of this old lady like that...
  2. is he only mowing for her or is he doing other sevices to her.
  3. The Cutting Edge

He is just mowing and trimming I do all the other stuff lanscaping and pick up..
  4. motoguy

motoguy LawnSite Member

Just submit your bid to mow mom's property. Ask her to compare it to the current guy, and let her know you'd be happy to take care of it. That should bring it to the attention of the daughter, which may check out what mom is paying...and then hopefully you get the job.

I think that's more professional than appearing "nosey" about it, even if mom volunteered the information.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Don't mention about what the other guy is charging or bad mouth him, thats bad business and not profesional. If you know her, talk with her and let her know you would like some extra work and would like to do her lawn since you already do her daughters lawn. Give her your rate and let her know you would really like to ad her as a customer.
  6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

The old lady maybe confused about how much she really is paying. I'm sure that her daughter would not let her get ripped like that. Other than that maybe the guy has other ways he help's out around the house if you know what I mean ;)
  7. The Cutting Edge

The mom showed me her checking account when I asked her how much she was paying per cut. So I know it is for just for one week of cutting because the week prior there was the same amount wrote to the guy.
  8. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

Was he there mowing before you started doing the landscaping? It sounds like he has a good gig so why ruin it for him.
  9. The Cutting Edge

I guess some of us have morales...
  10. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

I do have MORALS but I hate when someone undercuts my price just to get the job!