1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Taking advantage of an injured LCO?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJ GreenScapes, May 15, 2004.

1. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

A local LCO here was recently injured in a terrible car accident - broken arm, leg, and he is still in ICU. I do not know him personally, but he is a well-respected fireman in town. Well, 3 of his customers called me this weekend about taking care of their yards while he is hurt - I signed one of them up on an annual when she heard my prices. I am not asking what they are paying him, I just give an estimate like I normally would... The problem is that I am new to this business and I know it looks like I am taking advantage of his misfortune. To make matters worse, an article in the paper this morning said they are charging him with vehicluar homicide because the drivers of the other 2 cars both died. I have none of the specifics on the accident, but I do feel bad for him... Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should handle this? I am supposed to meet 2 more is his customers on Monday.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Take it slow my friend...................
    Your treading heavily here.
    You should be helping if possible to keep things going until things are proven further or he gets back to health.............
    Put yourself in his position.
    Fine to make money with the understanding that it is temporary for now,BUT,Taking customers while a man is down?
    I dunno,think about it..................
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

We had that happen to an owner operators here. His wife helped us out. 8 of us spilt up his accounts and just took 20% of each lawn to cover gas and insurance. So his wife still could put food on the table for their two kids. He had rolled a farm tractor helping his brother out at the farm. He wasn't able to work for 2 months from two broken arms. The small guys help each other out in times of need, because someday you might need the help.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Good for you.
  5. CJ GreenScapes

from AL

I do not know the guy and I have no way to get in contact with him or anyone who would know him personally. I have told everyone so far that I know this is temporary and as soon as he returns, to just let me know. The lady who signed the annual said that he had not been there in 3 weeks and was not returning his phone calls (before the accident), so she was starting to look for a replacement.... Man, this is hard. Should I turn them down, even though I could use the income?
  6. CJ GreenScapes

from AL

I must add that I have not contacted a sinlge person. I just happen to do a few accounts in the neighberhood and they called me. I do NOT want to take advantage of this situation. Please keep the advise coming. That's the reason I posted this on this forum... Thanks.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If they contact you give then a bid and if you get it fine, it does not seem that the other guys gonna be working for awhile so someone might as well do the work. Apparently he must not have carried any kind of ins. in case he could not work, his loss. And if he does have it his bills will be covered. good luck

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Not returning phone calls for three weeks?
    If true it's a bit different..................
    Just tread lightly,what goes around usually comes around.

9. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

i was in a auto accident a month agao
    as most of you already know

i was lucky i didn't loose any accounts
    two people mowed there own yard
    one got some one temp till am back
    on my feet, as i had all of my
    equipment with me in the wreck
    every one has been very understanding

me and amanda are even luckier
    to have walked away
  10. CJ GreenScapes

from AL

Potchkins, I am glad to hear that you and Amanda are doing OK. I made it perfectly clear to those who have called that I expect this guy to take back over when he gets back on his feet - I really do hope he does.