1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

taking advice from people who FAILED in the lawn business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i make it a strict rule, never to take advice from people who have failed in this business. they will never admit they FAILED, they all just say, "well, i sold my business to do something else. " or, "i got burned out". or, whatever. in my opinion, this all = YOU FAILED! i have exposure to about 5-6 failures in the lawn business. they all ran aground, for various reasons, yet can't seem to understand why. one guy PRICED himself out of business. yet my advice from him the other day was, "you shouldn't charge extra for leaves, i used to just suck them up with the mower, at no extra fee. this is why, you need a walker." :dizzy: :dizzy: another guy, "you shouldn't charge extra for weed and FEED, i never did, i just charged it as one application." :dizzy: another guy, " you can't charge per month, it isn't fair to the customer. you can only charge per cut. hey, there was one year, it rained so much, we cut about an average of one time per month. another year, it was so dry, we didn't cut at all in augest or september." so i asked, "what happened to your business?" he says, "oh, well, you can't make money in this bizness, i got a family to feed, i got a great job at xyz.......". :dizzy: :cry: they all failed, one way or another, YET, they are giving ME advice. silly, don't ya think? do YOU take advice from people who have failed?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

No. I agree, to many "I used to do that" out there giving advice. Its one thing when they were successful and retired or sold the business after 20 yrs. But those that were in business for 1-15 yrs and got out due to the above excuses...I will not take advice, well not from the business standpoint. Equipment maybe, not business.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Advise, NO, but you most definitely can learn from them.
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Also don't take advice from a guy who makes up stories since the dollars are made up. The stories are always good for a laugh :D
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

watch and learn,
  6. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, when taking advice about ANYTHING, you should ALWAYS consider the source of the information and it's even fair to ask how a person came to that conclusion. Ask them how or where they learned that and see if they justify their advice.

Have a great day,
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If you sell your business for a profit, I don't care if you have only been in business for 4 years, if you sell it and you make a nice chunk of change, how is that a failure? :dizzy:
    What happens if you get out of the business because you no longer enjoyed it and you moved on to something that you enjoy more, is that considered a failure?
    Failed = sinking ship, no profit, losing business daily, going under.

I guess Bo Jackson is considered a failure at baseball then cause he wanted to play football too huh? Get real, just because someone leaves the business to pursue something else that they enjoy doesn't make them a failure. Bo Knows.

In your eyes someone has to stick with a business for 50+ years and never do anything else to be considered a success??? thanks for the laugh.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you want a laugh, look in the mirror. failure= "i got burned out" " things got rough, so i packed it in" " i had to get a job, cus i got married and had kids". jumping off a sinking ship, before it has fully submerged, does not mean you succeeded, the ship still sunk. i don't apreciate your stupid post, major tom. i'm talking about people who have FAILED for various reasons. pay attention before you post. read the original post, which clearly defines failure, then, make an intelligent reply. good day
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Explain to me then who can leave the lawn care business and be considered a success? Define those qualifications. And good day to you too, but just think about it.....Bo Jackson wanted to diversify his talents. Was he consiered a failure because he didn't just want to play baseball?
  10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

If I remember correctly, Coastal sold his Business last winter, made a big profit, turned around and went right back into it.
    is that Failure or smart business???
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.