Taking away paid personal time

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmunoz, Apr 19, 2009.

1. dmunoz

dmunoz LawnSite Member

What do you think about taking away a benefit from employees. I pay my employees personal time and vacation time. I've been too generous and now it's costing me. I have some long-term employees who have accumulated a lot of paid time off and I have to use temps or reschedule jobs when they use their paid time off. I'm thinking about taking away their paid personal time and letting them keep their vacation time. I can't afford to keep paying them to not be at work.

2. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Have a two tiered system where you aren't so generous with new hires. You may also want to consider not allowing them to continue to accrue more personal time. However, I wouldn't attempt to take away the time they have already earned.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Change your policy so future personal time expires if not used by a certain date, don't let it add up.
    I don't think you will be able to take it away from the guys who have earned it, it is part of the compensation that you promised them. Your crew needs to know that they can trust what you tell them.

4. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Taking away what is rightfully theirs will create nothing but negativity. If you want to cease a benefit, start it say 30 days from now. Assure them you will honor what they have earned but there will be no more from such and such date. Allow enough time for the steam to dissapate from their heads and if they are good people they will understand.

5. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

You will not prevail in court if you take it away. Change your policy to a maximum days they can accumulate and you better get legal advise on this.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you feel you must reduce/eliminate personal time, do it for new hires, not your current guys. Taking away bennies and perks is a great way to kill morale amongst your employees. Whether the 'writing is on the wall' or not, they will think that writing's there. Smart guys abandon ship before it sinks, so to speak, don't want your best workers to leave.

7. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Limit the accum portion. Do not take away what is already theirs. Just think if you worked for a guy for a long time bustin your butt earning the time off and one day he says I can't afford to give you your earned time off. I know if that was me you'd be seeing a dr to get a new grill.:laugh:

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Were they building time instead of OT pay?

I don't think its a good idea to take it away, just set an ending date and take it from there.

9. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Just my .02
    Could you roll the pto vacation sick and holiday time into one grouping
    set a max of hours to the total of accumalated time for say 2 years
    Example
    80 hours vacation + 40 pto+ 40 sick + 40 holiday = 200 hours to take how ever they want
    Time stops accumalating after he has 400 hours on the books(does implement a use it or lose policy)
    Guys with more vacation time will have more time off
    Guy doesnt have time on the books for a holiday then he gets an uncompensated day off
    I would pick a figure where the guy with the most amount of time on the books has at least a couple of months to max out

Another thing you may think about is buying back vacation time at the end of the year(just before Christmas)
    Allow the employee to sell his time back to you at the end of the year
    Set some rules like must have a min number of hours on the books or a max number of hours they can sell back to you

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  10. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

One other thing I would let them acumalate the time per pay period

200 hours of time divided by 52 weeks=3.85 hours per week