Taking Blades Off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nmhorns, Jul 20, 2004.

1. nmhorns

nmhorns LawnSite Member

I have a Lesco 48 inch belt drive mower. I need to take the blades off to sharpen them, however I cant get the bolts loose. I have tried putting a pole on the socket wrench. Anyone have any ideas?

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

heat it with a torch or use an impact wrench

3. Longstar

Longstar LawnSite Member

Let it soak in WD40 or some other intrusive lubricant for a few hours, then get a breaker bar with a long cheater pole attached and it should come free.

Or you can heat it up with a torch and loosen the rust that is binding it.

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

save yurself time and trouble... take it to the shop and have the mechanic zip em off. Soak em overnite before hand, I like PB Blaster myself. Have the mech zip em off.. give him a lil tip and be on yur way. When you put em back on, use a lil anti seize compound on the bolt threads. Torque em 60 to 80 ft pounds. Buying a cheap torque wrench is cheaper than buying an impact. A rule of thumb I always use.. take stuff apart with air tools.. reinstall by hand and torqued properly. Never a problem again.

5. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

try this next time the bolt head is striped out grind the head of the bolt off with angle grinder the blade will fall off then you can unscrew the bolt with vise gripes the bolt will be hot don't burn yourself

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Like Xcopterdoc said, take it to your dealer, or take it to a gas station. A lot of times your dealer is too busy to fix things on the spot, but at a gas station I slip 'em 5 bucks and they will do all sorts of things.