Taking business serious.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Apr 7, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I am at the point where my landscaping business needs at least one employee. I have been using friends and family to the point where they wonder when I am going to hire someone. The problem is, when I hire an employee I will have to be much more serious with my business. Currently I take off when I want, work when I want and really follow no real schedule. I think hiring an employee might make it to where I have to follow a schedule.

Did anyone else have this issue before they hired an employee. Did it make your life easier to have a set schedule or do you miss the freedom to take off and do what ever you want, whenever you want.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You will only have to follow a schedule tell your employees trained..then he or she will have to follow one not you.

3. RLSLandscaping

RLSLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have always had my cousin with no real schedule..but this year I realized I need to get serious..my cousin was a slug so I let him go and hired this 19yr old kid who is strong as a horse and wants to really work..schedule yes, but only because I am extra motivated this year...thing is..he calls me around 7:30 every night to find out where to meet up, and sometimes I say "NO WORK" I gotta do estimates or whatever...thing is you gotta hire a kid who wants to work and is home still so he has no real bills, so when he gets a few days off it's no big deal...and u can pay him 10-12hr cashola...if he works well he could do some accts while yer gone maybe? ya never know the kid could grow with ya and be a great supervisor for ya some day...anyways good luck man you sound a lot like me lol working when ya want..laid back...I gotta get my butt in gear this year and start to husstle though! GL

4. drsogr

LOL...that is so true. If you look at my posts...I really have slowed down quite a bit lately....unless its raining.

5. drsogr

Yeah I guess thats true.

6. drsogr

I am a little too laid back...maybe a having someone on payroll would give me a little extra motivation! Monday and tuesday I worked 15 hours each day. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday I found excuses to slow down and put in about 6 hours each day.

7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I am the same way. I went through all my family members and friends. Usually about 4 per year. I guess i work them to hard. This year i went ahead hired an employee, and a payroll accountant. Days when i don't have much to do, i plan on having him work in my yard while i run errands or sit in the house reading all these posts.

8. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

Having a worker defenitly keeps you going. I remember the good ole days when I'd sleep in and so forth because my workers were loose. My policy is if I say we meet at 8:00.. they start gettin paid at 8:00.. even if I don't show till 8:30. However if they are late say and hour.. they get docked an hour on top of that because I have other guys I have to pay while we wait. The fact that i know they'll be gettin paid even if im not there makes me make sure im there on time.

Also about those kids that "want to work". I've had a lotta of em.. and after you put in 3 12 hour days in a row.. they all of a sudden aren't so passionate about working.

9. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

5 keep telling myself that I have to get serious, I have two part time people now. I just have too much trouble waking up...maybe one day I'll get up.

10. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

Having a helper definately motivates you to start at a certain time all the time. The key is finding a helper good enough to be on time and work how you want them to work, and not want gold. Three years ago I thought "that shouldn't be too hard". Here I am today working by myself. Good luck.