taking care of tools

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pines, Feb 21, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

what do you use to treat your shovels rakes etc..I once read an article that recommended treating/wiping them with a liquid that I have since forgotten. Any suggestions?
  2. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have been told spray on white lithium grease although I have never tried it.
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard many things but never done them... Luckly we don't break to many of them so it isn't that big of a deal. I also get general tools (shovels, rakes, etc.) at a pretty good price.
  4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I always use linseed oil, when I get ready to put tools away for the winter time.

You can take the stuff and rub it on the handle. It makes it protected and makes it a lot softer on your hands.

On other handles like a hammer handle, you can do the same thing. And also with a hammer, you know sometimes the hammer head is loose, well the reason is probably because the wood has shrunk a little bit.

And if you will put it in a container,pour the linseed oil in there and let it soak. You're going to end up causing the wood to
    swell back up.