taking credit card payment

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawncarepros2004, Jul 25, 2006.

1. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

i'd like to make the move over to start taking credit cards for payment. where do i start? Any companies better than others? Any help or ideas are always appreciated!

2. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have paypal linked to my website.

Customers like this because they do not have to give their credit card number to the "Lawn Business".

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

It may be more cost effecient to start with paypal. That way you can accept check, all major credit cards and bank drafts over the web, phone, or in person. A merchant account costs a little more, but has a smaller percentage for processing. It all comes down to how much income you bring in via credit cards.

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Beat me to it!

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've had no problems getting people to give CC numbers...they charge crap at 7-11 and Mickey Dee's so why be afraid of the Lawn Dude?????

6. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

thanks for the tips fellas. mow on!

7. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to accept credit cards but I can't stand that fact of losing 2-3% on my gross sales to a credit card company. If I'm grossing $100,000/year, suddenly I have a $2-3,000 expense in credit card processing fees!

Is it worth it?

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A valid point, but consider with CC's YOU control your cashflow...no more wondering/worrying if the customer will get around to writing you a check that month. You can sit down with a beer, watch a Seinfeld re-run and call in a couple grand that will be in your account in a day or two...

For 2-3%, just tweak your prices up a bit to cover it.

9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

But when I tweak my prices up to cover it, I'll want that money instead of spending it on CC's! Yes, everybody tells me i'm a penny pincher.. but I don't think there's any other way to run a business until you're 100% in the black and sittin' comfortable

10. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If you're grossing 100K, or whatever per year, how much is it costing you in postage and time to prepare invoices? Not to mention late payers (for an entire month's worth of mows). Charging credit cards the day after each mow is the best thing I ever switched to. You're in complete control of the situation, and never 1 mow short if someone's card comes up declined.

Also, don't forget all those fees are deductable as a business expense. Works for me.