Taking Credit cards for payment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kevinlane, May 29, 2007.

1. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone know how to set up credit card acceptance in the business? I currently only take checks and cash. However I would like take credit cards.

2. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

I take credit cards via pay pal. it's not cheap but sure is easy.

3. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

You can go through QuickBooks, or pretty much any merchant. They will try to sell you a terminal, but all you need is the ability for online credit card payment entry. I'd consult QuickBooks first and then go from there.

4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to your bank and tell them you want to set up a merchant account. I'm not sure that accepting credit cards is cost effective. Your bank will have all the info.

5. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

credit cards take a cut of whatever is charged.

have you considered monthly dedit for your cust.

6. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

The Bank is a good idea, I'll check into that, thanks Echeandia. How would I do a Monthly debit, Bigray?

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I think paypal is the better way to go. Your only fee is 3% per transaction (from what I remember). I currently use quickbooks merchant simply b/c thats who I use to do my billing but it's become too expensive ($40 per month plus a transaction %). I'll be canceling that real soon.

8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

its cheaper then the quotes i got from other cc processing company's

9. GELAWNS

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

We just started with PayPal on our website and it was fairly easy to set up.

10. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

paypal is amazingly easy to setup, you can also take echecks, and bank transfers as well as paypal. Its 1.9-2.9% per transaction WITH NO MONTHLY FEES. For an additional $20 month you can take cc over the phone and in person. Paypal is designed for smaller businesses as well as large, I highly recommend it!