Taking Credit Cards????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gatewayuser, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of you gone through First Data for offering credit card service. I just signed up with them its 2.35% and $0.25 per swipe and $39.95 per month with free paper. I think thats a great deal and will open up a ton of new windows. What cards should I take?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

DUDE! Unless you have bad credit you got reamed! That is about as high a rates and charges I have ever seen. I use EFS and pay 1.67% with a single one time $0.15 charge per day that charges are made. That's one .15 cent charge if we process one card or one hundred cards that day. In addition if they use a debt/check card and use their PIN I only pay a flat $0.10 per charge not the 1.67% of the total charge. I paid $12.50 a month fee which includes unlimited equipment maintenance and support and yes......paper for the machine.

If you have good credit you can do MUCH better then you did.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

To late

4. Gatewayuser

I said I will but have not signed the papers yet they are laying in front of me.
    It was going to be 1.79% and 20 cents but I wanted the Motto option which means I don't have to have the card just the number. Is this still bad? Do you have any complaints with EFS? What cards can you take? I could take mastercard, visa and some others. By the way I have no credit at all because I always payed cash but I just got approved yesterday for Capital One Visa Platinum.

5. MMLawn

Been with EFS since 1996 and never had a problem at all. Yes my deal also includes being able to just punch in the CC number and not having to swipe it. Any card processor can only get you approved for Visa & Mastercard and those companies debit/check cards also. You have to deal directly one on one with AmEx and Discover to get approved with them. Onve they approve you then you simply give your Merchant ID number with them to your processor and you are then set with them too. We accept Visa/MC/AmEx/Discover.

ALSO you do know that First Data is the parent company of Western Union, A company not exactly known for outstanding customer service.

6. Gatewayuser

Ok heres what I just read on the contract the one is an equipment lease from a different company for 48months at the $40 a month. EFS I just found out is First Data.

7. MMLawn

NO it isn't unless they recently bought EFS BANK and I haven't received any thing saying that they have. First Data Corp is Western Union. EFS is EFS National Bank based in Tenn.

NEVER, EVER, EVER "lease" a machine! that is the biggest rip off in that business and those leases are iron clad. You don't like it or don't use it anymore? TOUGH, pay up anyway. BUY your machine flat out, clear and free. Mine was like $900.00 BUT they have much cheaper ones out there.

8. Gatewayuser

I'm all confused about it now so I better not do it. It seemed so easy at first but I guess its not after all.:confused:
    Thanks for the help MM!:waving:

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Lawn & garden asociation
    1800-752-5296

1.53% Visa & MC
    .20 per ttransaction swiped or keyed in.
    $4.95 per month

Terminal Equipment -----Free use

Call and ask for Kirk Nellis

10. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i got a free machine , free support 24hrs. a day like 1.2 percent per swipe an on america express like 1.7 percent per swipe .if you dont have any transactions a month its just 25 bucks .I set this up for one account with a national chain for payment ,but works wonders for sales on the residential side ! have fun , george