1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Taking Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RollTide11, May 14, 2008.

1. RollTide11

RollTide11 LawnSite Member

What can I do to get more business? There is another LCO in my area that has everybody locked up tight. I really need some of his business.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is good karma to never take another man's work.
  3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

4. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

A lot of people are going to go on quality of work, but many go on price also. Lowballing is an option, but then you're shooting yourself in the foot. I'd advertise and wait, eventually someone will get p*ssed when they make a mistake. Just make sure you do a good job! Also, I doubt they've got everyone "locked up". Either way, you've got to get your name out there and if you're new to the industry, offer to cut at a discounted rate the 1st time but do it right & do an extra good job.
  5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

its impossible for him to have everything.look at what he doesn't have instead of what he does.just keep trying as much as you can.work will come.just keep your promises and do quality work.
  6. RollTide11

RollTide11 LawnSite Member

I just seems like everywhere I look the man is cutting a lawn. He even cuts some of my distant families grass and everyone is so loyal to him its crazy.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Is that a quote from Henry Ford or Sam Walton?
  8. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

You might not want his business. Make sure you don't get the customers he no longer wants. I have a similar situation. I had a friend refer me to an older gentleman because the big LCO in town had "gotten too busy" to return phone calls. I start taking care of his yard and he is the biggest pain in my a** EVER!! It didn't take long to find out why the other guy quit taking his calls. The latest thing is he accused me of seeding his yard with clover instead of fescue so I could charge him to kill the clover.:dizzy:
    Just keep advertising and build your customer base the old fashioned way---by doing good work. Soon you will be the big guy in town.
  9. mowtivated lawn Care

mowtivated lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I agree with never taking them! I can't stand that the one that say they will beat any current prices they are paying or any written estimate. My theory give the job your best price based off your knowledge and skill, if you get it good if not work on pricing.
  10. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

There is nothing wrong with handing out flyers to everyone (even the other guys customers), they can choose who they want. Don't lowball, the work will come. Trust me. I picked up a lot of jobs this year, and I still am. Just be patient, advertise everywhere you can, and the jobs will come.