1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Taking Deposits

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by evergreenco, Apr 14, 2005.

1. evergreenco

evergreenco LawnSite Member
    from NC

How many of you take deposits on installation work? I am so tired of poor cash flow and having 60K out all the time for work completed.
    Currently I do not take any money from homeowners until the job is complete. My contractors of course pay weekly or once every two weeks and i have to front that money for them!
  2. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

homeowners are ALWAYS materials & any rental fees upfront, commercials are 30% upfront
  3. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Any jobs that the materials or other supplies are over $300, I get the money for the material upfront.
  4. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

under 20K for total project...50% upon acceptance, 50% upon completion

over 20K for total project...1/3 upon acceptance, 1/3 at 1/2 way point, 1/3 upon completion

We are usually booked 6-8 weeks in advance. The deposit gets them on the schedule.
  5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

30% to hold a spot.. dont want leave 30% no problem ill get there after i get done with everyone else. now a days even wiht contracts its still a PITA to get your $$ from people sometimes. Everything requires the30% unless its a long time customer who i have had NO problems with.