Taking Down Tree's

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turfman33, Jul 23, 2002.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Hi,

I want to know how you get into the business of taking down tree's. I own my own Lawn care service and have been asked a couple of times wheather I take down tree's. Of cause the answer is no, but I would like to know how to get into the side of this business. what do I need to know? What courses? ETC.. Any help would be great. Are there any web sights out there on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

Steve:p

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

3. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

Taking down trees... Before you can cut, you need to learn to climb. That is however unless you plan on doing easy stuff that can either be bombed from the ground or pulled over with a truck and rope. Probably the easiest way for you to do tree work would be to simply find a climber. They will teach you as you work together. Keep in mind that you will need a dump truck, chipper, chain saws, ropes, etc. Plus landscaper insurance DOES NOT cover commercial tree work. Tree policies are a lot more expensive and harder to come by than landscaper insurance.

4. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

Tree work is very dangerous http://www.benmeadows.com/
    I am not saying don't try it, just respect it. Talk to some of the old timers, and hear some of their horror stories. It is a rush tough, when you top a tree. Good luck:)

Tree climbing gear is fairly expensive, bobcat(grapple), truck(cdl??)chipper will run 30k, insurance>>>>

5. agrostis palustris

Wow IPM. That you are talkin about the semi-expensive stuff right there. Then you gotta figure in for your stump grinders (small ones are 12K) Then there is climbing and rigging gear. Between just my saddle, climbing rope, helmet, and other life support gear I figure in at probably 1,000 - 1,500. Then there are the many ropes which will run you starting at $85 and all the way up into the low hundreds for just 1. Then you have your rigging gear... blocks / PW's / GRCS' / and other important things. Then you have your chain saws which will run a MINIMUM of $250 and that's not for a good one. Top of the line climbing saw at this time is $450 - $500. Then you have your ground saws, felling saws, etc which will run to over $1500 for a single saw. Then you have your wedges, sledges, cant hooks, and other BS stuff. Just things to think about.

6. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

All of the above are why I sub out tree work that has any kind of risk to it. I'll cut up stuff that has fallen down and even drop trees where there's no chance of damage, but the tricky stuff I just sub out.

I think due to the investment you'd need to make, the tree work would have to become a full time endeavor.

7. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

We got into tree work simply becasue of the demand for it in my area. i would receive tons of calls each day for it and sub-out everything, so i finally said, time to jump into it. We bought a used 12'' brush bandit for $10K, a bunch of misc. ground saws ranging from $200-$700. We hire a climber who gets $250.00 per day in pay, and if needed a bucket truck at $500-$800 per day. As for insurance, my landscaping insurance covers tree work as long as trees do not make up more than 15% of my gross sales. in terms of pay, we try to get anywhere from $700.00-$1000.00 a day for a climber and a grounds guy. for bigger jobs that require the bucket, more crew, the rate goes up in the $1600.00 a day range....

8. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

IMHO...Stick with downed trees........ Made 300 bucks on a 60 foot pine tree the other day.. Bought a 140 dollar Poulan chain saw.... took me less than an hour to cut up .. 1 1/2 hours to haul off...... Not too bad I think.....

9. agrostis palustris

Tim, I hope you are aware that downed trees can be just as dangerous if not more dangerous than trees that are standing. Ones that are down via either felling or structural failure can lead to fatality or serious injury. Are you aware as to what a spring pole is and how to "safely" remove one? Also are you aware of the reactive forces of wood and of chain saws? Are you aware what causes kick-back? I ask you these things because you say you bought a poulan chain saw "wild thing" :( If I am responsible for cleaning up a large tree, I would much rather piece it out up in the air than have to drop it whole and pull pieces from the ground. The small ones are no big deal, fell and clean up.

10. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Its a shame, because its guys like you that are killing this web-site... this guy Tim was just making a comment about how he made a few extra bucks on a pine tree, and here u come acting like a know it all, busting out terms, and what not, why? because u have probably cut a few trees in your day? I am sure Tim is well aware of the danger when using a chainsaw, he doesnt need know it alls like you to tell him to watch out for kick backs Once again...thanks for the "tree" lesson smart guy.