Taking exam tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grits, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

In Florida, you have to have a license to spray roundup and other chemicals in flower beds and on ornamentals. I go tomorrow to take the class and exam. Wish me luck! I haven't gone to class in quite a while!

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

100%...I can see it now, Grits!! :cool2:

3. Grits

from Florida

LOL! I'll settle for 1 point above passing!:laugh:

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

The class and exam on the same day? In NY, it was a thirty hour class, and a month later, the test. I heard Florida was supposed to be tough... but good luck!

5. Grits

from Florida

Yep! Same Day! :) Now this is just for the "Limited Commercial Landscape Maintenance Pesticide License". You still can't apply anything to turf. Just beds and ornamentals. It is commonly referred to as the "Roundup" license, because you have to have it to spray Roundup.
    To be able to spray turf with pesticide, the first thing you have to do is have 3 years experience with a company that does it. Then you take classes and and the exam, which I have heard is a BEAR!

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Gotchya. That whole "years of experience thing" is freakin B-S. In a rare exception of rational thinking, NY figured give a pretty tough test, with a 30 hour course pre-requisite, let's reduce the number of completely illegal clueless applictors into a system where one can get certified without working for $10 an hour first for someone else. A rare case of mental lucidity. something government agencies rarely display. The test in NY isn't real hard, but it isn't easy either. I've heard FL is tougher, but not by that much.

Here was my favorite question.... how many generations will the birch leaf miner produce in one season? Even though it was open book, if all the questions were that tough, no one would pass. The 30 hour class and about 30 hours of study will get an average person to pass here, but that is cutting it close. I put in about 60 hours of study and got a 90 on both tests.

How many illegal applicators run around there? In NY, I'd say half the LCO's are illegal. They have 6 DEC cops to cover all of LI. It's almost hard to get busted.

7. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

GOOD LUCK!

I have my class next wed and thur. I think the test is on the last half of the second day. im not sure, all i was able to figure out is how to register and order the books i need. I hope i got the right books. if all goes well ill be certified for turf and ornamentals next week. The books and work books just came in and i started looking through it trying to get a head start.

8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I have all the book you need...I got my licenced last year..:cool2:..turf, ornamentals and Right of way..

9. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

Let us know how it goes.
    Good luck.

10. MortonLawn

MortonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

anyone know when I can take the test, I'm located in Jacksonville Florida. Heck, who do I even call to get info about it?? can someone help me out? I would love to be able to spray roundup. :)