Taking out sod and putting in new sod? Pricing??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by corypavin, May 11, 2004.

1. corypavin

corypavin LawnSite Member

I need to estimate a job to take out the existing sod and replace with new sod. How do you bid a job like this? Not sure on the pricing? Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated as I need to get back to him today. Anjy suggestions?
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I'd suggest first measuring the area you have to dig out, and install new sod. Possibly rent some equipment to remove old sod (sod cutter, tiller?) and put together your costs. Then you need to estimate how long it is going to take you. Add up your costs, and add in labor, and there you have it.

rushing a bid may hurt you in the long run, so if you are not confident that you will make money on the job, it may be wiser to pass it up, rather than lose money.

figure how much sod you need, and get a quote on price. Then add in your rental equipment, if you don't have any, and estimate the amount of time it is going to take. Figure out your labor costs, and go from there.

I know this is vague, but it really depends on your setup, and efficiency, and pricing, and overhead.

Hope it works out for you, maybe post a little more info (area to be done) and people can give you a ballpark figure to work with.
  3. corypavin

corypavin LawnSite Member

Is it possible to bid it per square foot? Thanks for the helpful advice. There is approximately 2,000 sq. ft.