taking over business

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DALMlawn&landscaping, Nov 12, 2004.

1. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

so, my boss, who is an arborist, is gonna go full time with Davey Trees, and is gonna give me all his work, basically his business and stuff. he has a clientel base of over 3000 names. he mainly does trees but also does a bit of landscaping. my question is who has done anything like this? he is very giving and is just willing to let me take over everything, but how do you follow the foot prints of the no. 7 (no. 2 before he started slacking a few years back) ranked arborist in south texas (57 counties)? should i just hit up his clients with nothing but landscaping jobs and leave the tree work for some one else, or should i try to start now, at 21yrs/old to try and become ISA certified and whatever else. any thoughts are welcome. thanks.

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

3. akerr

akerr LawnSite Member

Do you enjoy tree work? or is it just appealing to take over an established business. If you like working with trees then you should go after it, but dedicating yourself to only tree work would be tough. landscaping offers a wide range of job opportunities.
    good luck

4. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

i like trees and all, and i can half-ass rope/saddle my way up a tree, but the main climber will be there on the weekends, i could probably work something else out. he thought me enough to do easy jobs, and stuff, so yeah, i could probably just take those and turn down the hard ones but stick to my guns with the landscaping.

i'd find an aborist to do the work, but the only other 7 or 8 in san antonio dont work, and are snobby tree people. so they send crews out to do the work, just like what i do.

oh well, thanks for the comments, i'll take it one day at a time, i still got till jan.

5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Well if you are going to do the tree work
    You should have a hefty insurance policy to cover it.
    One mistake can cost you everything.

For landscaping alone the insurance should not be that high

Good Luck !