Taking phone calls

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DeepGreenLawn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK, so this is coming to the end of the first year...

I am horrible about taking phone calls and writing the info down on the closest piece of paper/my hand I can find. Then of course, the paper gets lost through the day... good by customer, hello one more bad reputation.

I have tried carrying a ledger, notebook, phone, everything other than a smart phone. I got a phone with internet but am saving up for a phone with a keyboard so I can actually type something. I think I will be set then...

What have yall found to be the best way to keep up with this kind of information? One day I will have me a secretary that can handle this stuff for me...

One day...

2. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

A good ole' daytimer for me...(but I'm old fashioned) :cool:

3. DeepGreenLawn

That comes back to the whole can't keep up with it deal. I have my truck and my business truck, which I use both for different reasons. Then going back and forth to the office... I do have a clipboard that I carry with me and have managed to keep up with... maybe just a notepad on that will work?

4. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a dry erase marker and put one in each vehicle.

When you get a call and need to write down notes... right them on your drivers side window or on your windshield :)

Old trucker technique.

5. DeepGreenLawn

smart... VERY smart... it comes right off?

Putting one in my truck right now...

6. HOLE-N-ONE

HOLE-N-ONE LawnSite Member

I use a small tape recorder that fits in my pocket to record information or if I have an idea about something or think about a task I need to do (post office stamps) then I can play it back to retrive my information.

When you pick up the phone and someone wants a bid for instance. Tell them to hold for a moment, start the recorder, when you ask thier name they will tell you, then to verify repeat thier name and other information into the recorder.

John C

7. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. Just keep a little rag or even one of those neat erasers that usually come with a board lol.

The rag works fine though.

I do this all the time. I hit a tree on a fourwheeler at 50mpg when I was 14 and I've got a crazy memory problem. Thank goodness my girlfriend treats brain injury patients or I might be working for one of you guys! :laugh:

8. DeepGreenLawn

I personally get it from my dad. But his businesses are big enough that he has people doing all his scheduling and taking of phone calls. We were talking about this the other day and he was kind of getting on to me for forgetting stuff like this, as I am much better than I use to be. I told him that sure it's easy for him... he pays someone to solve his problem...

One day...

I am going to tie a string to it and hang it from my mirror so it doesn't disappear itself.

9. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

I have a spiral notebook. Each week I write down every customer I'm going to cut or service. One page is devoted to each week. I write down all gas purchases, anything from dealer supply for parts or supplies. Each time I cut I put down the price in the left hand margin. Each time they pay I write pd to the right of their name. If it's a monthly customer I go back 4 or 5 weeks and mark pd if it's a 4 or 5 week month. When a customer calls I write out to the side of their name. This way I can wait until Saturday or Sunday and enter everything into the computer. It works for me.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Mine call the office. I clear the machine while sitting in front of quickbooks.