Taking soil Temps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dishboy, Sep 20, 2004.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

What is the preferred method and tool for getting a acurate soil temp. reading?

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

a soil thermometer is what I use. I purchased a hand held unit that is about 5" long, stainless steel, with a quick reading gauge that responds with in 10 seconds. As far as the sampling technique, I try to take three reading twice a day on the turf areas I'm interested in. One in complete shade, one at the border of the shade/sun, and the last one in full sunlight. I plot the test locations on a map, and return at the same time in the afternoon, to the same three, plotted locations, that I sampled in the AM.

dishboy likes this.
  3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the temp at a 4 inch depth. That is the standard. Probably why yours is 5 inches long, SWD. :drinkup:

dishboy likes this.
  4. kakuenzli

kakuenzli LawnSite Member

I am asking this question because I don't know, so why do you want to take the soil's temperature?

5. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

soil temperatures are used for a number of reasons, commonly for knowing when certain weeds may germinate, (Ex. crabgrass) and even for best seeding times for good germination. Insect activity can be somewhat gauged by soil temps too, but the most common model is the use of degree days, which is a whole different ball game.

dishboy likes this.