taking the guard off the trimmer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by workinallthetime, May 14, 2007.

1. workinallthetime

workinallthetime LawnSite Member

someone tell me the advantage to removing the guard from the string trimmer. I see all these guys with trimers and most dont have the guard on them, whats the point?

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Well i only know of a couple reasons, one is so they can feed more line out and the other is these folks argue that the guard doesnt do anything anyway, as the line shoots objects outwards below the guards and having a guard makes little to no difference.

I use guards myself.:)

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

1st thing I do is remove the guard

4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

And why is that ?:)

5. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I see guys with them removed but I have never known why they do it.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It gets in the way of acrobatics and won't allow for certain angles, also I find proper trimming technique is more effective at keeping debris flying the correct way.

7. ozark

ozark LawnSite Member

I remove my guards as soon as i buy a trimmer. This enables you to run more string out at a time. This comes in handy when you trim steep banks that are a large area. On some of the smaller trimmers that are used in business today you dont need to take the gaurd off due to the lack of power to run extended string. It would be a waste of time. If you have large areas that need to be trimmed due to steepness or unaccessability you will find the "no gaurd" approach is the way to go.

8. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I asked the Mechanic at my Dealers why he had so many Trimmers to repair and he showed me that almost every one had the Guard off, and alot more line out than you could do with the Guard on. He said they all needed new Clutches and the quickest way to burn out the Clutch was run the Trimmer with the line too long. Especially in tall grass.

9. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

I do notice that when my string gets out too far my engine has a little trouble stabilizing in the higher rpm range.

Short funny story. I got a new trimmer a couple months ago and went outside to fire it up. I forgot the step that says to secure the shield to the shaft, probably because when I pulled it out of the box the shield was already on it. I just didn't tighten up the bolt. Anyways I'm outside and get it running, just standing there revving it up a bit, and the shield is vibrating. I figure well I'll just have to tighten it up...and then all of a sudden it vibrated loose, and the trimmer line knocked the bolt and wing nut somwhere into my yard (still haven't came across it). So I happen to have been using mine w/o the guard, but if I just go to the store and pick up a new bolt and nut I'll probably put it back on. :rolleyes:

10. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Just get an edgit . Its better than a trimmer guard , stands the grass up better and lets you cut an edge perfect along a sidewalk. PLUS ...it protects you from flying stuff and you know that the sting is right at that edge unless you run out extra for special needs.