1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Taking the High Road

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shane7258, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I had to unfortuately as some of you know let a client go due to their constant barrage of BS. I always took it with a smile and said thank you. Well I sent an offical letter detailing why I was not going to service him anymore
    and even thanked him for the business thus far and wished them luck in the future.
    I explained about their yard and their attitude towards me and just said thanks but no thanks.

Well I got call after call and was polite (obviously I was doing the quality I thought I was doing because they wanted me back) I declined and said no thanks well the next thing I know they are at my door step of my residence to have it out with me in words on my property. Can you believe the nerve? Then they call again talking about their daughters lawn is Blah blah blah but the funny thing is her husband has said nothing but nice things to me and calls to say thanks. So I am at a loss it is very physco and a little scary if you know what I mean if you are a family man. This person and there lawns actually gave me chest pains trying to do a good complaint free job for him but it got ugly on their part but I am still taking the high road and giving a good God Bless you What now I've no Idea

Good thing I take them as a case a property and not a friend or aquaintence or a talking some buddy already summed that up they are not and deserve not to be
  2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

High road smmmmmiiiiiiiiiii road, next time someone shows up at your door step tell them your calling the cops and will file harassment charges, thats plain crazy. No way, no how, some lunatic shows up at my place of residence they better be ready for a possible beat down, no bull, some people need a serious head examination, its landscaping for gods sake.

O'Donnell Landscaping
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Dido! there is no reason for him to come to your home period! If it keeps happening I would definetly look into filling a report with the local authority. You can nevere ever be too safe in this day in age.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I agree 100% with Daveyo and nobagger. Any person that comes to YOUR property after you tried to be nice about it has got some serious problems! I would be very concerned if you have a family. People today are crazy as h-ll! I can see me going to my mechanics house because he does not want me for a client, he should give me a good azz kicking if I did and I would deserve it. Like nobagger said, dang, its just lawn care!! They took it personal and I would be very wary of these folks.
  5. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be rewarded from the Most High, Shane for keeping your professional bearing, wtg. Inspiring !

You need to refer customers like that to the emergency room to get their blood pressure checked. :dizzy:

Joe Montana is now a spokesperson for getting one's blood pressure checked, and curbing hypertension.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps now some of you understand WHY, when I drop someone because I can't take it anymore, I either:
    Carry them THROUGH the season best I can *OR*
    Drop them without notice.

Everybody always thinks you gotta do that customer service stuff but I've learned since I've owned my own business, people take MORE liberties with me than when I worked for someone else, some get downright unbelievable... guess they think they can push me or get away with it since there's no 'crew' in the store or whatever... It is amazing but it HAS taught me to take the lame way out, at least I don't gotta deal with the above (and yes, I've had that and worse happen to me). I NEVER try to explain things anymore, it just doesn't work for me, hard to believe as that may sound, sooner or later it comes around like that.

Now someone shows up at MY house to have words with me, mufugga I live on a 1-acre piece of LAND and nobody's going to see me grab you by the neck the second you smart off to me, but most likely I'd hit the cellular and call the police. So if they give you any more hassle, I would call the police asap and tell them you are being THREATENED and CURSED and you are AFRAID and they will come out FAST and those people will likely be RUNNING long before you even hang up the phone.
  7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

if someone came to my house out in the woods... stray bullets fly around from 'hunters' occasionally. give them a 3 second warning.
  8. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your support. I knew that if I got to exchanging words it would not make me feel any better and it would make them come back with BS and they did all on their own.

I love to make lawns look good and my nitch here is edging and I will attempt to do exactly what you want but there has to be a mutual understanding that there is some things we can not accomplish even if I had a magic wand. You can't t change a persons distorted beliefs on lawn maint and I have now started with new accounts asking more about their expectations and I tell them yes I can do that or no this is what my final product will look like
    "For a man who understands no explenation is necessary; For a man who don't understand no explenation is possible"
    -Said by Bro Brown
  9. Limeade

Limeade LawnSite Member
    from Houston

you're a good man, I would have shot him in the ass.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This is why businesses use a p.o. box, so their home addy won't be known.
    Too many cuckoos out there nowadays. We never thought about it back when we started in biz, but this year we had a lady start leaving notes on our door for no reason at all. Freaked me out, I didn't like the idea that she was coming around like that.