Taking the next step - Running a crew

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by The8thWonder, May 24, 2006.

1. The8thWonder

The8thWonder LawnSite Member

Hello, I have been in the business for 5 years now and I only mow (no landscaping or chemical applications) I have a full time job that requires me to work 40 hours a week. My lawn business is something that I have to do after 5pm on the weekdays and on the weekends. I have been running like this for 5 years and have done it all by myself.

Next year I want to take my business to the next level and hire two employees so this year I am taking on as many accounts as I can to beef up the business in preparation for next year. I currently have 31 accounts. My goal is to have 60 accounts by the end of next year. If I average my 31 accounts then it comes out to $48.00 per lawn. I will also need to buy a lawn truck for my crew. I currently have a 16ft double axle trailer, John deere commercial zero turn, John Deere Riding lawn mower, couple of walk behind mowers, couple weed eaters and one blower.

Any advice would be great on what kind of truck to buy, employees, how many accounts it takes to support two employees and still make money, ect. ect.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Local economy may differ, but I look to get 50-60K of work out of each guy.

Why do you need another truck. If you are at work you do not need the truck so let them have it.

Tighten you belt-- what you are about to do is the roughest part of this business. Good luck.:drinkup: to ya,