Taking the plunge!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rider1000, Apr 28, 2001.

1. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

Friday was the big day. Resigned from my job of 21 years as a supervisor at a manufacturing plant to do lawn care full time. I feel better after 11-12 hour days doing this, than I did dealing with all the bull**** of solving everyone elses problems. I've got four full days of residential mowing and got the commercial account where I just resigned from. Thought I was going to have to get a part time job for insurance, but with the commercial job, I now can afford my health insurance. Still getting 3-4 calls every day, so I'm going to sub out work to a friend to get him going. My wife and I (only female I've yet to see mowing), work together and we are working our butts off, but we are feeling very good about how things are going. Good luck to all of you out there.
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Husband & wife teams can have their problems at times but are still the most productive money making way to go. I wish you the best of luck, it sounds like you're off to a great start.
  3. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

Sounds like you are on your way!!!!
    Kudos to your wife, sounds like she is ready to make this work as well.
    I have not seen very many women mowing either. But there is one two woman crew about 20 miles from here and they do good work. They have an enclosed trailer that looks like they bought it from Sanford and Son. It has so much stuff in it and on the walls, you can not even see in. The women also look like Amazon women so they probably intimidate the owners into the work. ( Let us cut it or else )LOL.
    Sorry, just had to add that. May good luck and good fortune be with you!
  4. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Plunge is a good phrase! It sounds like your off to a good start, not only with your accounts but also with complete support at home. I'm not sure I could work with my wife, but I sure would like her to go with me just one day. I think it would help explain why I dont feel like going out to dinner when I come in at 8:00 and she doesn't feel like cooking. Good Luck!! I think I've seen your truck.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Husband and wife teams have their advantages along with the disadvantages.

Matt and I work together, and we find that it is nice being able to keep all the money for ourselves and not having to pay a helper. That is definitely an added plus.

But I am sometimes limited on what I can do. I never load or unload the trailer, nor do I do any trimming. I can not tolerate being hit with debris while trimming.
    I cut and blow off the driveways and handle all administratvie duties. Matt though has to do all the hard physical stuff that I just can't do. I am by no means strong, and at first it was very hard for me to handle the work load. But I have adapted, and with the money we do make, it is worth it. I am a make-up, paint my fingernails type of person, lol, and it is hard for me to accept the fact that I do have to get dirty. ;)

Congratulations on taking the plunge. Best of luck to you.
  6. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Congradulations on your plunge. I remember resigning from my 27 year career to do this, and it was the greatest day of my life. My ONLY regret is that I didn't do it years earlier. I wish you and your wife the best of luck, and I'll look for you out there.
  7. For health reasons my wife resumed her State of Hawaii clerk typist job of 20 something years. For several years we were inseparable as a lawn care team. Now its separation anxiety everyday as we part to our respective work arrangements! We did have our moments, Oh babe you don't rake out enough, are you going to just leave those Heliconias with those dead branches hanging, why don't you organize the truck better, etc. But we were the team. She would mow/ back pack blower/hand prune/rake/planting (on occasion load logs,go to dump). Now her nails are coming back and lost her calouses on her hand!

But since I had to take time to tune up the Kato b&s 5hp i/c 10 blade reel mower, we are working together this morning one more glorious time to catch up on rescheduled work. But of course first we must go to favorite coffee shop (yes we got um here) for breakfast.

Have fun in the bidness.