Taking tire off rim?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lasher66, Aug 5, 2004.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if there was a tool out there that is made for taking tires off small rims (such as ZTR rims and wb rims). I just have a pain in the butt trying to take off and put back on tires. Thanks for any help.

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I got one from Northern Tool. Forget the exact $, but something like $ 40. I have used it several times, and it is a big help. I think you can find them on-line.
  3. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We fabricated our own to mount in a vise. Basic design is a 2" sq. tube base with a shaft that will fit thru the bearings. Then a spacer was inserted on shaft and welded to the sq tube to space tire off of the vise. Top end of shaft was threaded to allow clamping of tire in holder. Threaded bushing has a small bolt attached to it to tighten down, but is removable to gain better access to tire and wheel. I will try to post a picture of unit in a few days.
    It is actually is quite useful. For larger wheels with a spindle design we usually use a shop press to secure the wheel when removing tires. Tire size is about 18 x 10.00 - 8 when using shop press. For the smaller tires we have found a pair of motorcycle tire bars work quite well and they are relatively cheap.
  4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I used my air grinder and cut the tire off of mine a few weeks ago
  5. sdwally

Here's a pic of two different ones for various applications.

6. sdwally

Pic of smaller one in vise.

7. Bigg Bill

Bigg Bill LawnSite Member

I use one or two of those squeeze jaw clamps to squeeze the beads together so that they will fit into the deep well at the center of the rim. This gives you enough room so you can get the other side of the bead off. If possible, leave the rim on the machine to keep it from moving around.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Mix a small amount of dish washing detergent and water up also and apply some around the bead of the tire, it makes it slick and you would be surpised how much easier it is to get the tire on and off the rim. Also you dont damage the bead of the tire as bad either