taking too long to mow!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lilballa154, May 1, 2004.

1. lilballa154

lilballa154 LawnSite Member

can some one give me some advice on what they first do when they pull up to a lawn and step by step as to what is the quickest.

it takes me like 3-4 hours to mow 3 lawns i also bag it but that shoudnt take up much more time and they arnt that big of lots about 1/2 acre with 32 in scag w/b

2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

If I where you I would try and not bag. I would rather double cut a acre with a wb than bag it, yuck.

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i have someone else helping me, i cut 4 lawns that are about an acre, the rest are only 1/4 an acre. i have 16 1/4 acre lawns and 4 one acre lawns (like mentioned above). so what i do is, we take out both mowers (2 cubcadets, small) and i have him cut the back, while i edge and trim the front and back, then when i get done, most likley he is still doing the back, so i cut the front while hes doing the back, then who ever finishes first gets the blower out and starts blowing... that procedure works VERY well IMO. thats how i think i get 20lawns done in 8hrs ;)

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

first of all...

Your mower is pretty small and unproductive relative to what's out there. The biggest improvement you could make would be to upgrade that. Usually a mower that size is for areas you can't get a bigger one on.

You're mistaken. Bagging actually can add quite a bit of time to a job, depending on how many times you have to stop to unhook it, dump it, and re-attach it. Stopping mowing to drive back accross the lawn to the dump location is another time-waster. If you can do a lawn in a single bag, it is less of a factor. But you still have dump time and such.

A really fast, wider, productive mower can often mow a lawn twice in the time it takes to mow and bag. Mow at the regular height, then raise the deck 1/2" and mow it again to disperse clippings. Sometimes it helps to mow it once, do all your trimming and edging, then do the 2nd mowing. It gives the clippings a little more time to dry out and they may clump less when making 2nd pass.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree,
    a larger mower will help with the yime. Also, baggging the grass takes longer to do. I don't bag, just cut it and raise the deck up to a higher setting, and go over again to disperse the clumps.

6. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Bruce32 gave you an honest opinion and the best advice to improve your productivity. That's how most of us get the job done. It will increases your bottomline dollar.
    Lots of benefits in mulching too: and the main reason for it is to keep the nutrients on the lawn and not the landfill site.

PC

7. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I agree with the others, bagging eats much more time than you think. I am a firm believer in mulching. The more you cut your lawns, you will see your productivity increase. As you can afford to do so look into a larger mower for you properties.

As far as answering your question about a step by step method here is mine:
    edge
    trim
    mow
    blow
    Hope this helps

8. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

DEFINITELY don't bag. You may need to mow a little more often than you would if bagging, but it is a black and white difference. We made a huge breakthrough in productivity when we a) bought a 36" Exmark and b) switched over to mulching.

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We double cut on a regular basis, but don't raise the mower deck. Many times a double cut gives a great final mowing, cutting down any stringy or strips of grass, along with mulching most of the clippings.

We try not to raise or lower our mower decks. Most all of our lawns we cut at the same height. It is one less thing to worry about on mowing days.

10. lilballa154

lilballa154 LawnSite Member

ok if i double cut it will it look really nice? like the pic that lawnranger44 has up there?