Taking up pavers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lanelle, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering how long it should take to pick up about 1000 sq. ft. of dry set interlocking pavers? Many are cracked so very few are re-usable but I have to save the ones that are whole. The existing base will be used for new pavers so I'm not destroying that.

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Palletizing the good?

Skid loader accessible?

Hand toss the bad into a skidder bucket?

Need room to re-prep base prior to reinstall?

Assuming 'yes' to the above, 3 guys, 3-5 hours.

3. Lanelle

Yes to all of those questions. Thanks for asking Stonehenge

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds right to me!

Except, stone forgot onel

assuming yes to the above,

35 columbians.......15 minutes.

steveair

5. Lanelle

Can you do the mathmatical conversion for Salvadorians?

6. steveair

Yes,

they will be about 5 minutes slower.......I use the soccer world cup theory.........the Columbian soccer team is doing very well and therefore they are very motivated so they can get home and watch the game. As for salvidor, I do not believe they are contenders this year and therefore motivation is slightly lower.

By the way, I truly have 'in the field' experience to support this data.

steveair

7. Steveair and others,
    I take that theory one step more and apply that to if a paticular country or local provencial team is doing well, they sure doe work harder to get there work done so they can get to the bar or local home to watch their soccer games. At least this statement is true about my families workers.

John

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We have a neat way of taking up pavers, We use a 1/2" sheet of steel supported by forks welded on, just run it under the pavers and lift. You can do about 8,000 sq ft a day with 3 guys this way, one guy picks up the stragglers and the other puts them on the pallet.

9. Lanelle

Report after day 1 of this paver job. Now we know why the pavers were so uneven in height. When the guys went to pick them up, most of the pavers split horizontally, with the bottom 2/3s looking nearly like sand. The foreman estimated that 1 in 25 pavers was worth saving. Now the client (and engineers) will have to re-evaluate this project. Seems like starting over with all new pavers might be advisable instead of just repairing the damaged area.

10. steveair

they wouldn't happen to have been Grinnel pavers. I wouldn't doubt it with what they make them out of.

steveair