1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Takkie is the new black?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by stuvecorp, Nov 26, 2009.

1. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I was talking to Dale at KR the other day and we were talking about how Takeuchi seems to be really coming on and people are very happy with their products. They seem like a real choice and now with Ron's impending defection, are they taking market share? Is there other brands that a people would ridicule you for having but have proven themselves? Are they getting better dealers?

What do you think?

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I doubt They will ever take Market share from the big guys but now that work has changed and people are being forced to get maximum value out of there equipment companies like Tak and Kubota are really starting to gain value.
    People followed colors when business was booming but I think you will see people following value now that times are tight.
    Why can Tak and Kubota build an excavator that pound for pound will out perform anyones yet still come in below the big names price?

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

You could ask the same of Hyundai in the car segment.

Takeuchi isn't well-enough established that it will grab market share, but it makes a darned good product. Maybe Cat should have done something there instead of with a certain three-letter manufacturer? :p

(kidding... just adding fuel to the fire)

4. Tyler5652

Tyler5652 LawnSite Member

Im starting to see quite a bit of Takkies, more than i use to normally see.

Appear to be coming a real popular brand, alot of guys switching over.The performance and comfort are one of a kind.

5. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll never own one. I refuse to own a machine whose name I can't pronounce.

6. mudmaker

mudmaker LawnSite Member

They want market share. IIRC that happened when cat first introduced their skids.

7. WillieWonka1850

WillieWonka1850 LawnSite Fanatic

I think we should all just get a gun :laugh: :laugh:

But all nonsense aside,
    I don't know, Stu. I almost never see a Takkie except for at the dealer.
    Their pretty rare around here. At least around here.

I'm not sure if they'd get a big part of the market share.
    But if they did, I wouldn't be surprised.

8. Tyler5652

Tyler5652 LawnSite Member

I use to say the same thing about only seeing them at the dealers but hell now anywhere i go they got them. Only seen ASV 3 times though if that tells you anything lol.

9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Five years ago I don't think they were even on my radar. I also think that the one dealership hasn't had them for very long. With Chris and Shane and others having a Tak excavator and hearing positive things about them also probably raises some awareness about the brand.

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Hyundayi still builds a peice of crap car as they always have but they are cheap. I turned wrenches for most of my life and Hyundai has always been a disposable car. Really not a fair comparrison to Tak and Kubota.