Talk about a bad day! HELP, blown head gaskets?

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Andy31, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Andy31

Andy31 LawnSite Member

Ok talk about a bad day, truck was running hot and a few hundred yards from the gas station is shut down. Added 2.5 gallons of normal water ( not ice water), ended up having to jump start the truck and drove to the gas station.
    Removed the radiator cap with the truck running and filled it up with water and rinsed off the radiator and oil coolers.
    Got back on the freeway 60-70mph engine temp was perfect.
    Maybe 4 miles later the temp started to rise slowly and the engine was running really rough and loosing power, then shut off.
    I coasted maybe a quarter mile off the freeway and into a parking area.

Oil all over the intake manifold, milky oil/water all inside the air box, the coolant reservoir is also coated with milky oil and water, the radiator drained
    out clear but only maybe a cup drained out. And water was dripping out of the tailpipe after coasting 1/4 mile or so. The dipstick oil appear to to be clear of water and no milky appearance
    Opened the hood and found this nice treat:
    BTW: the truck is a 2003 2500 5.7 4x4 with 169,XXX miles and all most all of those are towing miles.

So you think its a head gasket, manifold gasket or the worst news, something cracked...
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated:

I am going to start pulling things off in the morning.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Could be intake manifold gasket.
  3. AWMlandscaping

AWMlandscaping LawnSite Member

it might be your oil cooler, the core might have a hole or 2 in it...
  4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I will never understand why people keep running a vehicle that is running hot, let alone to the point of it shutting down....twice. Obviously if you're down gallons of water there's something seriously wrong.

My advice....don't do that!

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

My hemi loved to overheat and we tried everything to get it to stay cool. Finally found that the radiator needed to be replaced(held fluid but just wasn't doing its job). We replaced it with a hd all aluminum radiator that was much more expensive than oem. Good investment! Sorry about your truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Squidbill

Squidbill LawnSite Member
    from Florida

thats a blown head gasket alright.
    I live in central fl and i don't use coolant.
    It tends to kill thermostats.
    I use water weter and water.

Make sure you guys flush you cooling system every now and then.
    Specially using coolant mix.
    Best of luck.
  7. jasonc0203

jasonc0203 LawnSite Member
    from N.C

If its running hot, pull over...... now. :nono:

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I didn't have to use coolant, but water would completely freeze in the winter.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Are you sure there wasn't water in the oil already?

10. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. However if your relying on your factory guage to monitor your engine tempeture your already screwed. There nothing more than a idiot guage. I dont think alot of guys even look at them anyways.