Talk about a BAD DAY!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Boy... my Monday was a BAD DAY.

It was like Friday the 13th went on a weekend bender and showed up monday morning!!!

The season hasn't gotten off to the best start for me, and saturday evening it started raining, which became serious storming. The rain quit for monday morning. But the damage was done, and the wind has never stopped blowing.

I started out to work in the morning expecting a messy day of cleanups and such. All was fine for a while although rough... but then the calls started and the ____ hit the fan.

I spent the rest of the day trying to be "the pacifier" and trying to work too. I ended up having to meet with 5 VIP's in-friggin-person and a 6th for a phone conference between then and 5:00 to straighten things out, smooth things over, correct things, and otherwise play the pacifier to avoid some problems and devistating losses, etc... Particulars not important... just the fact I had to do all that on top of a bad work day.

Finally I waxed things over, and had so much for one day I said screw it... not making much progress. So I thought I'd try to get home before dark.

Dunno if that was a good thing or a bad thing. But I can tell you this...

I pulled up to the house and noticed part of my roof had blown off my house during the storm and landed over 100 feet down into my back yard.

I don't know when it happened. During the wind/rain/hail/half-tornado Sunday, or during the aftermath winds all day Monday.... and I don't have an attic access to go up and check things out.

It was too late to get the ball rolling with the insurance company. The wind is still blowing like mad... and it's not forecast to stop... and rain is in the forecast also.

I don't know that I can wait on the insurance with all things considered, and it's even more doubtful I can get a roofing crew over here instantly. So I may get stuck roofing my house myself, possibly stuck paying out-of-pocket... on top of the turmoil already going on.... AND I have to cut those two checks to Uncle Sam tomorrow.

I guess it could always be worse though. :cry:

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Dude, I hear ya. Just spent the last week and a half of hassling with WA state to get my friggin' truck's title transferred and registered. What a PITA! First it's emissions that it wouldn't pass, then there was a typo on the title that hung me up. On top of all this I have a new business to get off the ground, phone is ringing off the hook and I'm tied up trying to get my truck legal. Got it all cleared up today, weight off my shoulders. Don't worry, it'll all be fine in the end.

3. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

well i think i can top that! went out of town on friday , lent my truck to a buddy. he ended up getting arrested for dui!! 2nd offense!! The state seized my main work truck. it is now property of the state of new mexico. i hired a lawyer 1500.00. the hearing to is set for three and a half weeks!! he thinks i can get it out early.......not holding my breath. Still owe 15000.00 its a 2004. My back up is an old 81 that might hold up to the pay load if it doesnt i may lose all my accounts(over 125) ive spent my entire adult life building this biz to see it crumble in a matter of hours!

The guy who got the dui said the first was dismissed, no clue why he chose to treat me and my family this way as alcohol does not exist in my circle of friends, to say the least my state of mind is not near rational at this point.

wife 4 kids and no clue whats gonna happen!!

4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Dam I feel better all I got was 4 stitches in my finger. Good luck Envy! makes my rough day seem like nothin'

5. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Well thats real rough Lawnzilla, i hope it works out o.k for you.

Poor old Envy, just today i heard a fellow was $25,000 under your bid on a commercial job, i guess you never got that one :rolleyes: hahaha

6. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

jesus! that's like somthing outta a bad movie, good luck, man.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Uhhh, rent a truck or borrow one? Can you go down to the police station and explain? You don't have to go to a hearing here to get your vehicle out of impound if you were not the driver who was arrested and it is your vehicle. You just pay the impound fee and its yours with proof of ownership and insurance.

8. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Envy,
    You and I are in the same boat with the roof repairs. I'm in Matthews and we too lost shingles and a two sections of ridge cap on our home. We've been hustling too to clean up all the downed trees. We've had a much damage as when Hurricane Hugo came through several years ago. This is definately the weirdest weather I have ever seen in Spring.
    Good luck!

9. fargoboy

fargoboy LawnSite Member

Had a similar expierence, lost a metal roof during the night and didn't hear a thing. Didn't notice a thing the next day until returning home saw this shinny red roof in a oak tree 200 ft from the house. Cost the insurance company 600.00 just to take it out of the tree. Anyway take a blue tarp(vinyl) and nail it down with firing strips. Will protect the house until the insurance company gets there and you find a good contractor.

10. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Tough Luck, I hope things start looking up for you.