talk about a bad week for myself

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green Grass and More, May 28, 2006.

1. Green Grass and More

Green Grass and More LawnSite Member

I was mowing today and as I finished in one area I loaded up and headed out. At this point, my truck breaks down and as far as I can tell, I lost the transmission. Then after yelling about this I figured that since I only had one more lawn and it was a small one I would load everything into my wife's car and finish up. I get to the lawn and my weedeater breaks. I finished cussing most of the way and came home. I then find out that my garage door opener doesn't work anymore. I now have to open it by hand. All around a great day.

Josh

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You cut on SUNDAY???

3. yankeesdood16

yankeesdood16 LawnSite Member

Maybe he did his monday lawns today since tomorrow is a holiday. I'm going the one yard that I usually do on mondays on tuesday so tuesday I have 2 yards to do. The one I usually do on mondays I'll do 1st cause it doesnt take me that long then I have to mow at a apartment that takes me a couple hrs to do by the time I get done with trimming and everything.

4. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but it seems smarter to do a route... then to do one today, one tomorrow, 3 on friday.... how many extra trips or miles are you wasting.
    Guess if money's no object then thats a fine way to run but if you sat down and made a real route rather then cross your own path time and again, Your profits would increase...

Just my 2 cents
    All Clear

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Just what I was going to say!!!!!!:walking:

6. yankeesdood16

I only have 4(soon to be 5) lawns so far, I'm just getting started. I do them on a certain day of the week. The apartment that I'm doing on tuesday I only do every about every 10 days, thats how often the people that own the building want it done. Tuesday it'll be 11 days, I'll be heading out early at like 9 or so to go do the yard up the street cause its going to be hot and humid here the next couple days.

7. yankeesdood16

I'm trying a few different ways to get more yards. Hopefully I'll get more, anyone have tips to help me get more lawns?

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If I have what you're saying straight, what I do with this pita of 2 on Tuesday and 1 on Wednesday and 2 on Thursday is put the whole lot of 5 yards on for Wednesday and everyone compromises a little bit and this saves time and fuel.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, but don't get excited because it won't be no miracle, but still well worth your time.

Here's the thread, first post describes:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=146610

Takes a few odd minutes, once done always done.

And no you don't need a Web site, it's just a local business listing on Yahoo! contains your information + phone.

10. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah basicly... You'll have to think it over on routing the best way. If you can do all 5 in one day. Make 1 single trip from your home without back tracking or crossing the same path to do all 5 and end up home again you just increased your profits.

I understand just starting out but as soon as you can consolidate into a route do it! It's only benefiting you and your business.

Now that your not cutting a few here and there over 3 days a week, you have time to get more business (yes thats another trip somewhere but if it's constructive who cares) do maintenance or sit on your duff if thats what you choose.

Now if your accounts are scattered all over... make 2 routes, group the closest and do those one day then do the others.

The tighter the route and less drive time or trips the more we make.

Sorry to get off topic and hijack the thread... To the org. poster... Man we all have those type days... Recently i sold my truck, we went for a trip out of town and on the way back (jeep was full of my lil girls 4th b-day presents) just as we get into town i remember something i forgot, so lets run out to walmart... 1 block later jeep is pulling bad (tires going flat and fast) pull into a lot and yup is on the rim already... Take out all the toys and get the pos little spare... get it on and i'll be damned if it's not seriously low or leaking... well i know there is a gas station around the corner... so we drive real slow 1 block and turning into the gas station the pos pops off the rim... so now what... figure ok if the air machine has enough balls it will pop it back out and seal to refill... get it off and grab my .50 cents walk across the parking lot and I'll be an SOB if the machine is out of order...

Pulled everything back out and dug up a plug kit in my tool box, plugged the tire, tossed the spare in the back with the toys and went and got 2 new front tires... screaming little ones and all...

Somedays things just dont go right but remember even when your down on your luck... There's someone else out there with much bigger problems, be glad thats all thats currently wrong in your life.

and I'll shut up now...
    All Clear