1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

talk about cut throat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 25, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yesterday afternoon, a guy i know steve(also in this business) calls and asks if i want to go out for a beer . sure, pick me up. he been snowblowing for 2 days, and never changed or anything, his snowblower still in the back. we are headed to the bar, his cell phone rings. it's a client reffered to him by one of his. he agrees to go take care of the snow. we go over, the lady says she has a lawn service, and her guy quoted her $175 to do the snow (outrageous price, tiny walk and driveway). we both happen to know the guy who she uses. so, steve says, "i'll tell you what, you give me all the lawn and shrub work, and i'll do your snow right now for $50." she agrees. we do the job in under 10 min, and we are off for our beer. i thought to myself, "what a lowlife piece of trash." in fact, i said, "when bill finds out, the crap is gonna hit the fan, you know that?" he says, "screw bill, if he knew how to take care of his clients, he'd still have her." what is your opinion on the matter.
  2. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

watch your self on this one bobby you will be in the middle of a argument with your friend and this Gary guy. for instance Gary will be mad at you for not stopping him from getting his account and if you tell Gary that you tried to stop him your friend will get mad at you for saying that. just my 2 1/2 cents
  3. rodzilla94

or just take your shovel to there heads lol :D
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Steve should be a little more careful. I smell a boomerang here. The old gal could very easily blow this guy off and go back to whats-his-name for her lawn and landscape maintenance. Pulling out the knife to slit a throat means that the weapon is available for anyone's use.
  5. rodzilla94

did i say Gary i meant bill, been up since 4 am really long day ;)
  6. I hope you had him buying the beer.
  7. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

I trust Bill is the lowlife here right? :)
  8. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Another one of bobby's make up topics to draw attention..

;) ;)
  9. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a tough situation, have you asked Bill what he thinks about it? :D J/K. If Bill is surposed to be any kind of a friend, associate, or even just friendly competition, I would say steve did not do a very good thing. Doing the snow would have probably been acceptable but not taking the guys lawn account. If one of my friends customers had called me for a quote on that , I would have told her $275 and then gone home and called him to give him a little insight on his customer.
  10. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Dude. every five minutes there is a problem. Don't you think we experience the same jazz?