Talk me out of a John Deere X300

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MRBPSDnTX, Oct 20, 2007.

1. MRBPSDnTX

MRBPSDnTX LawnSite Member

I have had several JD Lawn tractors thru the years. Current rig is a 1998 LT155 w/38 mower deck and can swap between mulching and bagging. LT155 is in excellent condition. I'm very particular about maintaining wear items and service.

I've got the bug for a 2007 X300 w/42" deck, and the mulch kit and bagger.

Any Pro and Con's anyone has to offer I'm listening!!

Also. any thoughts on what dealer markup is now days and what the value of the Lt155 might be??

Thanks to All.
    M
    :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

2. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you current rig is getting the job done, why spend the cash on a new one?

3. jasperboy

jasperboy LawnSite Member

I looked REAL hard at the x300 and X304 before going with a zero turn. I had the LT133 with the 38" deck, but was spending 2 or more hours mowing, while a couple of neighbors were finishing in under an hour with there ZTR's. I had no real need for snow blades, carts or other "tractor" stuff, and time savings was my main goal. Did the entire 1.3 acre in 50 minutes today. As far as the new Deere, like friowrdo said, your not really gaining much more with the X300, just new and shinny. The extra 4" will shave a small amount of time, but not $3K's worth. Just my $.02

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO, if you are going to get the X300, pay $500 more and get the X304. It has a much stouter hydro transmission (K58 vs. K46, worth the $500) plus the AWS.

I'm considering X324 because of the softer ride and no Ferris dealer nearby.

5. MRBPSDnTX

Hmmm - I talked my self out of the X304 because it only turns 1" tighter with the 42 deck. No one mentioned the hydro was stouter!! I like that and will check into it! Do you know if either one of the hydros are serviceable now with out taking them out from under the tractor??

THANK YOU
    M

:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

6. MRBPSDnTX

It's time to update, and I think my LT155 would make someone a good unit for the money.

7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

If you don't need or want a ZTR, the JD x300's are nice mowers.

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

The K46 is not serviceable, and to the best of my knowledge the K58 is not either. What the K58 has is a charge pump that keeps the hydro from cavitation even during the worst operating conditions, plus more torque and ability to handle more weight and a larger rear tire.

I'm not sure but think the X500 has a serviceable hydro, but it is up near $6k

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If I'm reading it right the Deere site lists the uncut radius as:

X300 42 deck - 28"

X304 42 deck - 16"

10. MRBPSDnTX

Thank You Very Much, I stand corrected!!

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

I'm liking the X304 more and more!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: