Talk or Just Leave Flyer.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mcwlandscaping, Aug 7, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

There is a huge new development in place (500+) and the owner (who my family knows very well) wants me to deliver flyers for more work. I have some flyers made up and want to know the best way to go about distibuting them. Ex, talk to pot. customer, tape on door, etc. ALl houses are stcked one on top of another and all have nice lawns. Want to do this this week. Thanks Flyer Below (any suggestions on that would be nice too)

Attached Files:

2. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

People will be hesitant to call, and if you're including price on the flyer you're not going to get calls out of curiousity of whether a young kid will price lower. Also, people would rather pay an adult LCO $30 than a kid $30, trust me. I wouldn't knock. In fact, I would continue your work schedule and hire someone else, like a peer without a job, to hand out flyers for $7-8 an hour. Talking takes to long, it's not worth it. Go for volume. Your better off hitting each house with two flyers spaced out over a couple weeks than knocking on doors. If the price is right you will get many calls and if you can get a lock on a development, even for low prices, it will be well worth it. I would test a responses on low-cost mowing and medium-cost mowing, and if low does much better blanket the development. Also, I would just put Mike Wenrich, Owner somewhere, not Hi my name is. Balance out the font, Mike's Mowing is too big. Mowing sounds like you're getting less for your money, I would change it to Lawn Service.

3. mcwlandscaping

OK, i think "lawn service" is better too. THanks, more help from anyone else would be appreciated. I changed it a little too, i think it looks better now. Also, more input on putting the price on the front would be helpful too.

Attached Files:

4. south jerz

I would talk to your parents and the owner and see if either one has any friends/acquaintances in the development. (Even better have them drop your name in conversation to the people.) THESE are the houses you knock on. Hi my name's Mike I'm a friend of ______ (who they know) ad he told me you might be interested in a lawn service, just wanted to let you know I will be cutting houses in this neighborhood, give me a call if you are interested. That should work. If you can pick up a few and get a foothold in the development, you will be able to lower your prices and pull in more lawns (if your quoted prices are too high and getting a poor response) And with either yes or no be sure to say "if you have any friends/neighbors looking, please give them my flyer/business card and tell them to give me a call. I have had good luck with writing fixed prices for increments of lot sizes (1/4, 1/2, 3/4 acre for 30,40,50 dollars; 5,000, 10000, 20000 sq ft, etc) If you know the average lot size in the development and they are all the same, put a price level for lots just larger than the avg. If most of the lots are 8000 sq ft, put all lots under 9k sq ft $25, over 9k $30. People will feel like they're getting a deal and squeezing in under the 9k price level. Additionally, people will know it's a fair deal to all and you're not going to quote higher because they have nice grass or a bmw in the driveway. Good luck.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if it is an advantage to put your age. You might want to play up a strategy of "young man working his way through school" theme instead.

6. mcwlandscaping

ed2hess: like, when i go to check a prop after a call, as we are talking, add in the high school thing, good idea, thanks, keep em comin'

7. south jerz

Just set up your first service with them, do a quality job and watch some impressed clients. It's rarely going to help you to include age: especially among younger couples who are probably moving into a new development. Old geezers are much more likely to be touched by the work your way through school thing. Younger couples who tried that not too long ago will sense you on the BS radar. I think once they see your work, age won't be a factor. If you've been doing this for a couple years they will probably be confident you'll keep it up for at least the next few years, which gives them some reassurance you're not a fly-by-night.

8. mcwlandscaping

thanks, i plan on this being my career of choice. I enjoy and have so much pride in my work to do anything else.

9. south jerz

Honestly man if you keep thinking positive with this and learning from any mistakes, your business will be very, very successful. You and I have about equal experience in the industry, but I didn't startup my own thing until last year. If I had when I was 15 this would be a different ballgame for me. I was addicted to online lawn forums last year during my first year but I learned so much helpful info through them, even while just browsing around, it's incredible. I feel besides field experience no other resource comes close to these websites in helping you in the business.

But remember keep your grades as high as possible! Seriously, best advice you can take in high school.

10. mcwlandscaping

I agree, I have learned SOOO much in the short time i have been a member. If i am not watching Discovery or working, i am here just reading and learnign as much as possible, and people like you are helping me accomplish my business goals. Thanks, i am going to make a few hundred copies of the half, sheet revised flyer tomarrow and hand it out on wednesday. Thanks again and any more advise would be greatly accepted.