Talk to me about slopes on a ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kbrashears, Mar 21, 2006.

1. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I would never get in a sideways position on a slope, but talking going vertical, running a 27 HP Exmark 60", about how steep of a grade can you handle? How about going back down?

2. TOOMBSTONE

TOOMBSTONE LawnSite Member

The only thing about going straight up and down is the scalping as you top the slope. I use the foot part of the deck lift just as I top the slope so it does not scalp. I have an 31hp Exmark Lazer XS with a 60in deck and I can cut almost any slope goimg sideways, but you should not cut if the slope is more than 15 degrees.

3. TOOMBSTONE

TOOMBSTONE LawnSite Member

The only thing about going straight up and down is the scalping as you top the slope, and go down the slope. I use the foot part of the deck lift (to raise the deck slightly) just as I top the slope so it does not scalp. I have an 31hp Exmark Lazer XS with a 60in deck and I can cut almost any slope goimg sideways, but you should not cut if the slope is more than 15 degrees.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

In the manual that came with my mower, the actual degree of the steepest recommended slope is printed, along with a handy measurement chart one can photocopy and take along for use in the field.

I believe the number is either 15 or 16 degrees, but that's for a Wb.
    One can cut slopes steeper than recommended, but you do so in violation of manufacturer specifications, so there can arise insurance issues in the case of injury as well.

Although vertical approaches may seem better, a rear-wheel drive headed up a slope is in no less danger of flipping as one going sideways. Once those rear tires grab hold of something and the front decides to raise itself in the air, it's all over.
    Going down the slope may be slightly safer so long you have some terrain at the bottom where you can ride out the extra speed you're likely to build (and it's not much less scary, but it does appear safer). Then, ride up the easiest part of the hill and only ride down the tough portions, that might can work but...

I would highly recommend, if the slope is too steep, don't use a Z on it. Even with a Wb it is highly dangerous and I'd recommend a minimum of 1,000 cuts prior experience.

I've seen the underside of my mower with spinning blades coming around on a slope that was too steep. It is a sight you'll likely only see once, whether you live to tell about it, or not. Am I still cutting it? Of course, the rush was unbeatable, but that's me.

5. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

How about going back down?[/QUOTE]
    No brakes......zoom you are back down.

Seriously though.......if you have no experience with the Zturn stay away from hills and slopes until you know what it will and won't do on a flat surface. Work your way into slopes only after you have become familiar with your machine.

I have had better success in going across on slopes than up and down. I think it is less stress on the hydros to do this. Just my opinion. Just be careful and don't put yourself in danger on those hills.