talked to stihl rep the other day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yorkpaddy, Apr 23, 2002.

1. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I was at my dealer and I talked to the stihl rep for a while. Really nice guy..

ME: i'm sure you get this a lot, but when are you coming out with a bigger blower

Stihl: i do get that a lot, and all I can tell you is in the future

Me: Isn't the engine in the br400 the same one thats in the 29 saw?

Stihl: no its the same displacement, but slightly different

Me: oh, cause if it was, it wouldn't be too hard for you to throw a 39 engine in their

Stihl: it would be a little bigger it might not fit. The new blower will probably be based on the our FS-85 replacement, thats a neat engine. 30cc 4 stroke. It has overhead valves but it takes mix gas and it fires on every revolution like a 2-stroke. it has better emmisions, torque, and you can run it at half throttle and not screw gum things up. Its about the same weight as an 85 and more powerful. he showed me a picture of the new engine next to pictures of honda's and redmax's 4 strokes and its smaller. After 100 hours it totally loses power, then you have to adjust the valves and its back to normal

Me: and after that adjustment, thats it, or is it every 100 hours

Stihl: no just once

Me: i'm looking at getting an FS-200 or 250 whats the difference?

Stihl: the 250 is a lot more powerful than the 200, 40ccs vs 36cc.

Me: i'd probably use it to run my tiller and chainsaw attachment, because they can use the extra power, but not my hedge trimmer, cause thats fine and I don't want to break it

Stihl: all those attachments will fit on the 200 or 250, but they aren't recomneded. In testing we had problems with the gearboxes breaking so I can't recomend that you do that, although you'd probably be fine.

Me: the gearbox on the tiller looks pretty beefy,

Stihl: yeah that should handle it, but you didn't hear that from me.

2. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have 2 FS85's that are over 2 yrs old. Its time for new ones - Are they still making these just like mine? Sounds like changes.

I have no desire to see anything change on these. I wonder if that 4 stroke will be heavier.

3. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

same here. my 85 runs fine for me. the new one will probably be a little heavier. It has some more parts. Although the rep said that it doesn't have as many parts as competitve 4 strokes. I think he said it would be out in the fall