Talking about Low-balling

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by moose203, Apr 16, 2008.

1. moose203

moose203 LawnSite Member

I have not yet started my business yet, starting in September I have about 600 hours of planning invested so far but I see why after this planning and research how much of a problem low-balling realy is. This is a copy and pasted add from a internet seach for my area

We Provide Affordable Lawn Care to the Murfreesboro/Bell Buckle Area. The Reason We Can Offer Such Affordable Rates is Because We Do Not Have Fancy Equipment with Monthly Payments. We Have A One Year Old Riding Mower,a Weed Eater and a Blower. Also, This Is Not Our Primary Source of Income!

I know this subject is beat like a dead horse but come on.

Jason

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Ads like that, you read, watch them and move on. Seriously, with equipment like that, they won't be around long. Payments or not. The cheap tin that they have that they call a mower, weed eater and blower wont hold up long in a true commercial environment.

3. dannyboy20

dannyboy20 LawnSite Member

If I were a customer I wouldnt even consider responding to an add like that. That is rediculous. Instead of advertising your junk equipment you should be advertising your services. What a Jack Ass.

4. DrGreenThumb

DrGreenThumb LawnSite Member

I dont have the time to fight with this guy im going to make some money!

5. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

hahahah this guy is a complete *******

6. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

But there is a percentage of people out there that do not have the time or know how to mow their own lawn and are looking for a cheap way out.

7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Every industry has its lowballers. Some people drive VW's and some drive Lexus's. Provide the highest quality work and charge acordingly. I wonder if the people at BMW sit and worry about the folks at Kia.

8. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

Thats was brilliant, best response yet to the lowballers issue!!

9. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

Could not have said it better myself.Some people worry about low-ballers,some do not.I chuckle myself when I see a converted boat trailer with wooden sides that are ready to fall off and a Walmart rider and push mower on it.Then it is being pulled by a rusted out 1976 Ford pickup in need of a muffler.Every industry has its so called lowballers.In the long run the good ones remain.The only problem here is alot of people are looking to make some extra money.Mowing lawns is about the easiest way people think that they can pickup some extra money by doing a couple of 20 dollar lawns a night after work.I say there is room for everyone in the business---from the teenager mowing with a 20" pusher in the neighborhood,to the parent trying to make some extra money to put the kids through school,to the person that just got layed off,to the real pro looking guy in the group,and to the retired guy who needs to keep busy or is trying to make ends meet.MAYBE the ones doing the complaining about low ballers should look for another line of work......

10. jmr930

jmr930 LawnSite Member

Good post by milkie62. It will all work out in the end. The guy charging 20 bucks will do one of two things. Either he will just fade away because he's in it for the short term, or if he is doing quality work sooner or later he will feel that he is being taken advantage of and raise his prices. Customers worth keeping don't mind paying a fair price for a quality job. So called lowballers are often lowballing themselves. Why would you want to do a job for half what it is worth?