1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

talking to other lco's when on the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Oct 8, 2013.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it me or does it seem like when I talk to my competition they always talk about what company's low ball and how they cut grass at such and such a month. It drives me crazy that they bad mouth other local lawn company's in the area. Can we talk about something else besides cutting grass. U guys see this. Had a lco come up to me last week while I was pulling up to cut my next lawn. I never met this guy before but I have seen him around town and I have always waived. He tell me how he and other lco's are losing account because XXX company is low balling.u guys get this stuff like I do?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Almost daily at the fuel station and the guy doing the talking usually isn't dressed to impress or carrying even half decent equipment. Its hard to ask good prices when you have zero appearance skills.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^^agreed

4. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Anybody that is talking about somebody else (big companies, little companies, solo guys) are doing it because they themselves are insecure... Here is a secret.... NOBODY loses business to "low-ballers" Want to know why? Because anybody out there charging $15.00 for maintenance, or $450.00 for heavy installs, will absolutely 100% not be around in the next season or two... I hear this stuff all the time ^^^^^^^^ ... People at the gas station, at the repair shop, at the supply yard.... "Geez man, company x is totally low-balling everyone, they are gonna put everyone out of business!" Really? Well, not me! I know it's hard to ignore but do yourself a favor... Work smarter and harder, keep your head down, keep your head up, stay honest, stay true to and follow your business plan and you will be just fine. Do not listen to haters! And that goes for all aspects of life not just the lawn biz....

5. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't had much of an issue around here. All of the lcos while we are competitors are all friendly toward one another

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Good one right there Arm -- stay the course, do good work. Criticizing others is bad karma. It never pays off. Develop a good reputation with your peers/competitors/etc >>> learn when you can/improve when you can/treat all others with respect. Then be proud -- even when you do not receive compliments when you deserve them. Things always work out in the end. :usflag::canadaflag:

7. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Your working in a very saturated area when it comes to LOC's. You may have more satisfaction talking to you help or your customers. Don't let the competition drag you down because their miserable. Remember the saying, " misery likes company". Let the other LCO's remain that way, you have better conversations to look forward to.
    easy-lift guy

8. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I slash all tires and fill gas tanks with sand of any lco who looks at me.....ah ha ha

9. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

I fill there tanks with sugar... but anyway I think it's the part timers that are bringing this business down...

10. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

They LCOs that we talk to around here usually want to talk about mowing last and least. The only thing "work" related we ever talk about is equipment. We know as far as commercial accounts what each other mows, so there's no discussion. We might talk about the occasional funny happening or whatever on a residential, but most of our conversations usually come back to me making fun of WVU or VT football teams!