Talking with lawn comp.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Mar 27, 2005.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Who here has had a salty experiance with being friendly with another local landscaper. I have a company in the same industial park that seems to follow everything they see or hear me say. We park one of our trucks and trailers at the end of the industial park so people can see it on the freeway while driving by they did it. I was just shooting the **** with the guy and said this is how we break up the payment for large landscape installs and customers like it he says oh iam going to switch to that etc... I almost shot myself. From now on i am keeping my mouth shut or leading them the wrong way. Any of you do or did the same thing just to find it bit you in the butt?

reason for editing:

language

2. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I have a guy who has a route that overlaps mine. We always stop and chat and usually help each other with ideas, problems. He has been in it a long time and I probably get more out of him than I give away. There is enough business for everyone so I don't see it as competition. My prices are a little less but I put up with some customers he can't stand so he does not seem to mind.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I straddle the fence with the competition. I'm friendly to them and say hello but cautious as to information I might provide.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

check your PM lawnsrusinc

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Yeah, had it happen before and more than once :angry: so now silence is golden

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

In my area, it is very common to be friendly to other businesses. Its even common for us to talk about it at lunch. However, I know just how much to say, and how much not to say. Theres really not any lowballing around here either. Everyone kind of respects eachother.
    This is a rural setting, but it is quickly growing. A couple large lakes draw in wealthier people.

7. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I usually just give the old curteous wavy and keep going. Time is Money payup

8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I am friendly with my competition. My equipment is a bit differrent, so I get asked questions often. I don't mind.

A couple of years ago I stopped to talk to a fellow cutting across the street from one of my properties. He was using a WB and was facinated with my Dixie. I showed it to him and even tried to get him to drive it some. He was too afraid of looking stupid driving a Z for the first time. I encouraged him to get one because he wanted one. We kept talking, and the next year he quit the business and gave me all his accounts. He wouldn't let me pay for them.

I also watch how other people work. The fellow who cuts the yard across the street from my house was edging with a trimmer a few years ago, and he made it looked easy and fast. I tried it myself and eventually adopted it as my method too. What a time saver and production improvement.

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I have found in my experiences that it always pays to be nice. You never know who you are talking to.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have 3 answers i give to anyone competitor who askes. #1-"i don't know." #2-"i'm not sure" #3- " i can't remember." screw em. do you think anyone gave a crap when i first started out and i struggled?