1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tall a$$ pedestal steps

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cgland, Apr 21, 2005.

1. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are some pics of a set of steps we built using the pedestal method. These are the tallest I have built. I believe there are 7 skids of block in the steps alone. As you can see we intermixed EP Henry Coventry block with Versa Lok to save some money and give it some beef. There are also 3 pulls of geogrid in the steps as well.

Chris

2. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Looks really good. Nice work.

3. gil

gil LawnSite Member

Nice!!!!!
    How long did it take you to build the steps?
    Really nice work.
    Gil

4. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

Is that a CAT 242 I see in the background? Man knows his machines!

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks great...If I may ask, what is the difference between the pedestal method and building the stairs with just 2 or 3 submerged blocks per stair?

6. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great Chris. Did you compare the cost using Versa Lok vs. using Cov. Wall Plus? Just curious what the savings were.

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys!

gil - It took about 18 man hours to build the steps. (2 guys 9 hrs)
    Chesie - It is actually a CAT 232! I wish I would have gone bigger, but hindsight is 20/20.
    Sodking - The pedestal method is where your whole structure is solid block all resting on your initial base. There is no backfill behind the riser what so ever. The advantages are a more solid, stable structure with less likliness of settlement and labor savings. Although I think the labor savings is offset by the additional material two fold.
    Mike - We saved a ton of money by using Versa lok behind the scenes instead of Coventry (VL = $6.25/sq ft Coventry = $12.45/sq ft)
    P.S. Coventry plus is an 8" block. The steps would be too awkward using it.

Chris

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Beutifull work you do yourself very proud.I'm sure your customers are very very happy with it.Now raise your price next time because of the expeirence you gained this time.

9. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

kudos on a job well done, i've done this before and i feel your pain steps + radius = one tough job
    looks great though

10. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Great looking steps !! I have a bid coming up on a very similar job. What was you bid on that job might I ask ? How high were the steps ?