Tall and sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B & S Lawn Care, May 7, 2001.

1. B & S Lawn Care

B & S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I'm still the same height as my most recent post..6'4". I've got an exmark 36. Many more of my yards would accomodate a sulky of some sort. I've got my handle and grips adjusted to its highest point. Still with a sulky that I have tried, I have to lean over to far. Am I alone in this horrid ordeal LOL? Any suggestions? What about this proslide? Called a dealer about it. Don't stock it and hasn't sold any????
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a exmark turf tracer 48 inch and purchased a 2 wheeled velky with the machine. It seemed the more I was using it my back started hurting,and I noticed that I was leaning too far over while using it(I am 6 ft).I looked at the parts page for the sulkys and there was a shorter arm the was used for exmark and other mowers. Went out and got the shorter arm and a big difference,no back pain.My problem is why didn`t the dealer know to give the short arm with the sulky for that unit.I will stop venting about dealers now. You did not say what kind of sulky you have,but mabey the sulky has a different arm for your mower.I also have jungle wheels on the other mower and I believe there is a different arm for that too.

[Edited by mow money on 05-07-2001 at 08:42 AM]
  3. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

So you are saying that the closer your feet are to the machine, the better? I am 6'2" plus my work boots, and have been wondering about whether a Velke would make me too tall to use the machine (Gravely Pro 150).
    I have two dealers supposedly looking into getting me a unit to demo as well. That was at least a week ago . . . nothing heard yet, customer service sure isn't a priority!

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new 48" Exmark last year and put a one wheeled velky sulky on it. I first stated out with the short arm, and I HATED IT, I dont know if it was mounted wrong or what, but when ever I went in reverse, and stepped off, it would spin around like its supposed to, but then it would tilt down and bind under the machine....maybe this is hard to picture, but whatever the case, it was a POS....So I brought it back and got the longer arm, that solved the problem and now it works great!!! I dont feel uncomfortable on it at all....I think I forgot to mention that I'm 6'4"....so anyways, it worked well for me, but maybe not for others, the only way to tell is to try it out your self.
  5. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the Jungle wheels yesterday it looked like it would be more comfortable with all the room for adjustments it had. Maybe you should look at those.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just a simple observation. it just looks like those things would have to do real damage to your back.
    i guess you must bend at the knees. if not your vertebre
    are being pressed on each other ever bump.i have used one but i allready had a tricky back so i just walked.
    dont mean to offend ones methods just looks that way to me
    later on now. by the way ,have a friend who swears its the cats meow
  7. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I use a one wheel Velkie and love it. But I demoed a two velkie that I didnt like.But as for now my doctor says Im too fat so watching my diet and walking instead of riding I have lost 20 pounds in two months. Back to the velkies Im of average height so mine is comfortable to use. But I do know that some are adjustable and would be worth looking at to see if this could ease your problems.
    Good Luck
  8. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I too am tall (6.0) and I am noticing that I have to use my knees more than before, but I also noticed that I can squat while riding to give them a break or to duck under trees etc easier so for me it beats walking anyday! My very own opinion.

9. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 6'3" and wear boots. When I'm on my Velke and running my 48" Great Dane Scamper hydro I have to bend down a little. It kills my back. I wish my I could adjust my T-bars.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

For once I'm glad I'm not tall. :D

If you have a hydro here is a suggestion. Get a sitdown type sulky. This wouldn't work on a belt drive because you would be getting off all the time to back up. If I'm not mistaken, examark makes one. Check their site and see.

I'm now an executive member. Ok guys lets talk about my new executive office, executive pay increase, stock options, company car and new vacation schedule. ;)