Tall Fescue 31 ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newtostone, Jul 1, 2008.

1. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Anyone ever use this for lawns in ny? I have a bag of it and just wondering if it would be alright for Patching up some lawns and overseeding. Thanks

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Ky 31 is pasture grass but it will work. There are a lot better tall fescues but they use it here a lot. It can grow in clumps, while more cultivated varieties will do better. I guess the rest is up to you.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I used to see it all the time.... " in Texas" now I havent seen it in about 10 years.

I have tried to sell it a couple of times but no go. seems people just dont know Fescue...

I have used it for overseading, NOT from NY but wanted to chine in

4. kratzsc

kratzsc LawnSite Member
    from 66227

Have used it in the past in Northeast Kansas. It is very coarse, in fact if you have children, or play volleyball or other games it can cause cuts. It is clumpy, and has to be reseeded often, but if cared for and cut at 3.75" and higher it makes for a decent lawn.

One thing to look at before putting down. The weed content in K31 is usually HIGH. Be ready to spray!!

5. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

LOOKS REAL BAD IN NICE TURF, PAIN TO MOW ,PEOPLE USEUALLY MISTAKE IT FOR CRABGRASS I WOULD NOT USE IT UNLESS ITS A LAWN THAT ALREADY HAS IT AND THE OWNER DOESN'T CARE WHAT HIS LAWN LOOKS LIKE AND IS NOT TRYING TO GET RID OF CRABGRASS.

6. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Niner thanks, thats what i figured. Just wanted someone to say it. thanks all

7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

It is usually called K 31. Don't use it in a lawn. Tall fescues make a nice lawn but not K 31. Just go buy a bag of a newer variety of tall fescue. I think Home Depot sells rebel varieties of tall fescues.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, something like rebel. Much better.