1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tall fescue control - NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, May 30, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We used "Corsair" last August thru early September (the recommended best time to apply). We used the highest recommended amount plus a spreader/sticker at the recommended rate as well. We applied it VERY thoroughly with a fine mist on each clump. I realize that it works very slowly, but none of the tall fescue has died on all lawns properly treated as of now. WHY??? Please help. Thanks.

2. Taco Tim

Taco Tim LawnSite Member

I put down 25000 sq. ft. of bermuda sod last summer, and this year, I had a ton of tall fescue weed coming up. I put 1 application of revolver down about 5 weeks ago, and it really kicked in. I was going to put 1 more application down, but we've been getting rain, and when it wasn't raining, the wind was blowing 10-15 mph. Not sure what kind of lawn you're dealing with, but I was pleased with revolver, but I know it's mainly for bermuda and zoysia.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

One PITA customer has a few clumps of tall fescue that she wants removed. I called our local Lesco about Corsair and he told me to pull it out instead. Thanks Lesco!

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

If you pull it out it will most likely just come back! spot spray it with Round Up and reseed it if its just a few clumps!

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

A sponge and glyphosate ( concentrate). Start just above grass level and not to the point of drip. This will work if you only have a few clumps.

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Certainty is suppose to control tall fescue. I tried it on a few lawns last week. I am not sure of the results. The Monsanto rep told me to give it 2-3 weeks.

7. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

corsair is good but expensive. If its a warm season grass just use round up when it is dormant

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I like Nathan's reponse, cuz I know Roundup,etc will kill it. We hit it hard with Corsair last August, but no kill at all. Seems Corsair did nothing for our customers - even though we used the heavy rate with LESCO's spreader/sticker.????