1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tall Fescue control, no kill. Why? Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 29, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Last August (optimal timing), we spot sprayed Corsair at the highest rate & included the correct spreader/sticker (from LESCO). Currently, no tall fescue has died on the nine lawns we used it on. What's the deal????? I'm thinking Roundup is the answer? Help is needed here. RSCVP
  2. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

We don't see any Fescue down here but I use this stuff for Virginia Buttonweed.

Did you do the 2nd application 60 days later?

The label suggests using a non-ionic surfactant @ .25oz per gallon and making a 2nd application 60 days later on:

Smutgrass, Tall Fescue, Vir Buttonweed, and Wild Violet

Good Luck :)

BTW - What type of grass(if any) are you trying to keep on these lawns? I assume the fescue is an unwanted grass growing in another grass?
  3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the weeds on Corsair's label can be taken out without a follow-up app, but I think you're taking your chances if you don't do a follow-up on Tall Fescue Buddy.
  4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I applied Cetainty to several lawns in May. It is slowly taking out the tall fescue and quackgrass. I scheduled a second application for one lawn but we have not had rain in three weeks. I am going to wait until August. I went at the .5 oz/acre rate.
  5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Thanks very much guys. I only made one application. Checked most of the treated lawns a month after the treatment (last fall) -- all tall fescue clumps were yellowing, so I figured they were on their way out. This spring, I noticed the clumps looked healthy as ever. OOPS. Now I'm thinking this two-application thing is time consuming, and I wonder if customers will pay what it's worth compared to Roundup???

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

round up and get it done i dont play around with stuff like that i am going to reseed anyhow so why not kill it the first time?
  7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Certainty is not that expensive. Most of my customers would be willing to pay for two applications.