Tall fescue price ranges

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by Gilla Gorilla, May 30, 2005.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Hey there I am curious to find out why I am paying $1.05 per pound of tall fescue at my local dealer which comes out to $52.50 per bag plus tax when I can buy a 50# bag of tall fescue winning colors blend from Shemin nursery for $41.00 plus tax. That comes out to $12.08 in my pocket if I buy from Shemin which it looks like I will be doing more of in the future when seeding a new lawn, top dressing or aerating and over seeding?

Thanks for any info you can tell me.

Justin

2. snooplsm

snooplsm LawnSite Member

What is the quality of the seed?

3. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Just go to your local Lesco rep, show him the reciept and see if they'll do something on the price.

4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Tommy, do you know if he will give me a credit on the bags that I have purchased this spring already?

Snoop the quality of the Shemin seed is very good also. It is there top of the line tall fescue blend not a quick start junk seed.

5. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

Gilla Gorilla -- let me know where you are located. That will help us understand the pricing you're being charged. Thanks.

6. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Keep in mind that their "Top of the Line" seed might not be the same quality as Lesco's seed. There are MANY factors to look at. Germ %, weed content, etc. Lesco's varieties of seed also rate fairly high on the NTEP studies.

Lesco has a sheet out that talks about all the components on a seed label. Talks about PLS (pure live seed) and how to calculate it. Really good piece to compare seeds blends apples to apples. The name of it is something like "The seed label, truth in labeling"