1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tall Fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jlwnsrvce, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Jlwnsrvce

Jlwnsrvce LawnSite Member

I live in California (Riverside). I have 2 properties to seed & I am stuck between seeding with Fescue or Rye. Currently highs are in the low-mid 70's & the lows are averaging from 42-52 degrees.I know Fescue should be seeded in Spring & that Rye is the best seed to use right now,but I am trying to avoid seeding twice in a matter of months. What are the chances of Fescue germinating thoroughly at this time of year? And are there ways to ensure that it has better chances? Thanks in advance.
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

You should have no problem with that germinating. Put a mix with Rye so ground wont be bare for approx to weeks. Also put good seed starter fert down with it.
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

^^^^^ i agree. I have seeded fescue in the middle of january when there was ice on the gorund and it came up beautifully when the ice finally melted. Fescue is actually a tougher grass than people give it credit for.