Tall Fescues

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by greenyard, May 1, 2006.

1. greenyard

greenyard LawnSite Member

I have Tall fescue in my lawn how can I get rid of it. Thanks

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Spot spray with roundup or pull it.

3. thelawnkid

thelawnkid LawnSite Member

as long as the rest of your lawn is not fescue, ryegrass, or buffalo grass(check the label first but I think those are the only ones) you can use corsair selective herbacide you can get it at lesco it is a little pricy though, but it works.

4. greenyard

greenyard LawnSite Member

The yard is bluegrass (I think) I just have a lot of spots with fescue. Is corsair selective herbacide eazy to use and will it kill or damage my good grass. Thanks

5. thelawnkid

thelawnkid LawnSite Member

yes it is easy to use, If you have a local lesco dealer they should have it. If your yard is bluegrass than it will not harm the good grass. But you will need to make sure that blue grass is what you have before you apply it.

6. TURF DOCTOR

How big a area is your yard:confused:

7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I'd wait until August, kill everything and slit seed with a thin bladed fescue. Get rid of the bluegrass!
    The reason for waiting is that it is too late in the spring to overseed unless you have a lot of time to baby the new grass during the summer, and at least the fescue will be green for the hot weather ahead.

8. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

What do you mean by everything? The whole yard?

9. lawnsplus

lawnsplus LawnSite Member

Just use the Corsair selective and if everything dies, scalp it, and put in new sod. If you have a sod farm close by they will sell you sod at around $1.50 per square yard + tax.

Chances are the corsair will work as you want it to.

I just did a lawn 2 weeks ago... with corsair, I would say about 25% of the lawn was tall fescue. It is all yellow or brown now. The customer has asked us to overseed even this late in the spring, I warned them that they must keep it wet which will be difficult with our watering restrictions, (every other day from 6-9 am and 6-9 pm), But we are going to slit seed it for them anyway.

Getting rid of the fescue is just step one. (Corsair is like $90.00 for a 1 pint bottle)

Replacing it with new grass is the hard part.

10. TURF DOCTOR

We seeded a property third week in september,we put down 150 # trigold man this seed is tops we did not kill the k 31 well we have a mix now it is long like barnyard grass it looks like crap,we took a lesson he is right if you are serious kill it out and reseed with a top grass seed. :cry: