Tall Grass!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redfox033, Jul 26, 2008.

1. redfox033

redfox033 LawnSite Member

I mow a rental property for a lady and she called me for a price on her own yard. Her husband was mowing it and he's lazy, she knows I will charge more for the first cut and she wants a first cut price and a normal price. I normally don't charge more the first time, but when I looked at the yard... WOW! I don't think it's been cut all year, the grass is about 3 feet tall and 4 feet or so in some spots. I have a 48" tiger cub. I really don't want to risk messing up my mower, but i don't want to loose her. I could mow it in about 25 min. if it was a normal yard. I told her $75 first time and $40 for each week after. Is it worth the risk?

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

take a weed eater to it the first time, then finish up w/ your mower

3. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

rent a brush hog

4. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

not really that hard to figure out is it :laugh:

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

What risk?

Unless there are assorted car parts, angry bailing wire or rusting bed frames etc. hiding in all that growth, there's no risk to your Tiger. However, considering the growth and the multiple passes required to achieve a maintainable height, the only risk I can foresee is the job becoming unprofitable.

6. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

you better charge about 175 for that

7. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, more like $150 for that one....$75 is way too cheap.

8. perfect_cut

perfect_cut LawnSite Member
    from Akron

:hammerhead:Are you guys considering the lot size. I would like to hear what the size of the lot is before I sasy cgarge her 150 of 100 or even 75.

What is the size of the lot?:hammerhead:

9. redfox033

redfox033 LawnSite Member

The Yard is about .35-.40 of an acre.

10. Strick

Strick LawnSite Member

You would probably be fine to keep your deck all the way up and mow slow. Just bite off half a mower width at the time. Just be sure to charge enough!