Tall Guy needing advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnbridge, Jan 15, 2007.

1. lawnbridge

lawnbridge LawnSite Member

I am looking for a ZTR mower and was sold on Hustler Fast track until I sat in on and couldn't't make a turn fully due to I am 6'4" tall and the steering kept hitting my knees. Any advice on another route to take?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have the dealer install a set of handle extensions and you will be good to go.
  3. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

If you would go with a diffrent brand you could get between the legs steering. But if you were set on hustler that steering extension kit osunds good.
  4. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

Get the seat springs as well. It gets you up 3 inchs higher... much more comfortable. ( I am 6,2" 250lbs so I should know!)
  5. lawnbridge

lawnbridge LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help. My dealer did not mention anything about the extensions. Makes me think I need to look for another dealer.
  6. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

That could be a sign of a dealer who is just looking to sell you stuff and not really help you out. I would look else where.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I feel your pain brother! I'm 6'4" tall as well! My dealer also sells Hustler but I never sat on one enough to notice the handle problem. Iv'e had that problem with other older machines though...

The supension seat making you sit 3" higher... Wouldn't that make the problem WORSE? If you add the extensions I'm sure they aren't more than a 3" extension. I don't know, just thinking outloud.
  8. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

I am 6'5" 225lbs and have a Fastrak. The key is adjusting your feet postion so they sort of rest half on the front edge of the mower instead of in the pan below your feet. I also have the seat springs and have noticed that helped quite a bit. I did not like the handle extensions because it caused the handles to hit me in the belly when going in reverse.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Aren't the Hustlers bigger there?

We always learned in school that everything is bigger in Texas.
  10. Six8

Six8 LawnSite Member

I'm 6'7" and weigh 245.I had the same problem with alot of mowers that I looked at.Bought A scag cub and extended the handles 8",but I still could'nt use the deck lift with out stopping.My current mower is A Dixie chopper,and have no problems with the leg room except still can'nt use deck lift with out stopping,but when your my height there's not many things made to fit.