Tall Wet grass which mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardenkeeper88, Aug 12, 2006.

1. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

The grass has grown like nuts this year. The smaller yards or front lawns we always used the 21's on have become a PITA. It clumps out from under the decks , around the wheels and blowing is taking way too much time. What smaller WB do you use or do you use 21's? Been in buisness 5 years, worked w/ other co. 3 years before that. This is the worst I have had to deal with. Never did like 21 work.
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I only use 21's on small gated backyards where I cannot get the Z. My gravely 44z with mulching kit never clumps, it will leave mad stringers before it clumps. I feel that 21's are obselete in comparison to a larger walkbehind like a 48 or similar because they only have one blade and can only mulch so fast ya know? The larger WB's with 3 blades can pass clippings off between the three to mulch up and disperse the clippings better. My 21 which happens to be a toro personal pace will leave clippings really bad in wet grass and wont even side discharge taller grass as the discharge will clog quickly. My advice is to forget the 21's unless you absolutely cannot get a larger unit to access the area.
  3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Any small walkbhehinds will fair better then a 21. This year has been fantastic, but the growth even now will really slow you down. What part of the state are you in? I would consider a Quick 36 if I were looking at a small 36. What type of machines are in your area? What does your local dealer carry?
  4. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 30-35 min from south bend (NOTRE DAME) :clapping: . The prob is that I wasn't doing too much 21 work until now. I just picked up a new cond / villa type situation and all the front lawn are only like 15 x 15. The last condo area I did they said they wished I would use something smaller. I was using a 44". The great thing about this new one is the potential is great. 2 builders are the the only ones allowed to build in this (they are the developers) and the 1 is using me completely Over 200 lots are in this place that the people are in charge of thier own maint and I have picked up 6 out of the first 11 plus we have the condos which we are complete maint of 5 with 21 more to be built and we have the entrances. so I need to find the most efficient but with a great cut. I also am mowing a smaller assoc. type place (16 homes) and it is the same way they asked me to switch from our larger wb to the small machine and paid more but is a PITA. So i'm thiking I need a 28- 32" machine that isn't so masive that it looks like i'm back to "big Machines". I think that Most 36" scag and such don't look that much smaller than my 44.:dizzy:
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We use an Exmark 36 Metro HP. which does the job in half the time of a 21". My next 36 inch is probably going to be the Better quick Super Duty or their Samari 36". The only draw back is we like the Hp because its a floating deck and it takes seconds to adjust the cutting height and it seems to follow the contour of the ground a little better than a fixed deck. But yeah I hate using a 21" mower infact I always have one of the other guys do it:laugh: We are bidding a condo development as well and it has those super small front yards with slopes and landscapes but at least we can use a 36" in 75% of the complex and the Better Quick being a hydro is probably the way to go.
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

That Quick 36 does not look that intimidateing to me. It is lighter then other walkbehinds of it's size. I don't think you will find anything inbetween a walkbehind and a 21 other then the Quick, or a Stealth type of machine. The 32 commercials looks at big as a 36" to me. Get something that will cope well with leaves and cleanups. Some of those condo's sound like a nice place for a walker if you have to bag to keep them clean.

Now that I think of it, if you believe you are going to get a bunch of these, maybe a small stander may be good if you do not like the Quick option. They are small is size, and are very manuverable. I don't think I would want a belt drive for a bunch of those tight areas.
  7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Either modify the gates or fences to allow yourself to get at least a 36" mower in, or drop the accounts.
  8. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I haven't used a walk behind yet, but my experience with 7-iron decks would make me want to look at JD's walk behinds. Though the smallest 7-iron deck that I know about at this time is the 48". If you lift the deflector or remove it during wet conditions, it seems to throw the clipping far enough and wide enough to avoid clumps even if it has just finished raining. The only time I have had a problem with clumps is when the grass was way too high to begin with and blocked the chute (10" or taller grass).
  9. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

Scag Turf Tiger ! ! !